Arrest made in law student shooting

By John Manganaro

York police arrested a 15 year old this morning in connection with the shooting death of… York police arrested a 15 year old this morning in connection with the shooting death of a Pitt law student.

Capt. Ron Camacho said his department obtained an arrest warrant for Jordan Wallick, of York, for the shooting death of James Wallmuth. He was 28.

Camacho said Wallmuth was making a phone call on a bench outside a popular Downtown York tavern when a group of people approached him and asked for money. Wallmuth apparently told the group that he didn’t have any, and one of them turned and shot him shortly after 11 p.m. on Wednesday.

Witnesses observed a black male wearing a red shirt and dark shorts running from the scene south on Grant Street and then east on Market Street, Camacho said.

Witnesses later identified the man as Wallick, he said.

Medics transported Wallmuth to York Hospital, where he was pronounced dead from a single gunshot wound to the back at 1:31 a.m.

Wallick has been charged with criminal homicide, criminal conspiracy to commit homicide, robbery, criminal conspiracy to commit robbery and possession of a firearm by a minor.

The Tribune-Review reported that Wallmuth finished his first year of law school and was spending the summer at home while interning with a local attorney. He graduated with degrees in history and English from Penn State University in 2004.

After college he earned his paralegal certificate and began working as a case manager in the York District Attorney’s Office before deciding law was the field for him, said the report.