Oakland shooting victim improves, still no arrests

By Liz Navratil

The victim of last week’s shooting near Semple Street is improving and is now in fair… The victim of last week’s shooting near Semple Street is improving and is now in fair condition.

City police spokeswoman Diane Richard said the victim, a 21-year-old Pitt student, remains in UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, where he has moved from the Intensive Care Unit to a regular room. The Pitt News is withholding the student’s name to respect his privacy.

Richard said in an e-mail that police have not yet arrested anyone “but are continuously following leads.”

Police received a call at 8:47 p.m. Thursday saying there had been a shooting at 3464 St. James Place, an alley off Semple Street. The victim had been shot three times, once in the chest, once in the abdomen and once in the neck. The shooting was part of a robbery.

Officers spoke with the victim Friday. He told police he was in his bedroom when he realized two black men had entered the room.

The first man, who is between 5 foot 10 and 5 foot 11 and between 20 and 25 years old, wore a black ski mask with a pointed nose. The man aimed a black pistol at the victim’s face and demanded money, police said in a news release. An accomplice stood behind the man with the gun.

The victim told police he was attempting to disarm the masked man when the weapon discharged. He told police he heard three shots before the gun fell to the floor and the robbers fled.

The victim said he picked up the gun and tried to fire it at the robbers, but realized it was jammed.

“It was at this time that the victim reported that he realized he had been shot,” officers said.

The victim’s roommate was in the house at the time. He told police he was in his bedroom, which is next to the victim’s, when he heard three or four shots.

“In fear of his life, the witness did not open his bedroom door until he heard the victim screaming for help,” according to the release. He left his room after the shooting stopped, found his roommate and then called 911.

Medics took the victim to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, where he underwent surgery.

Officers at the scene found a black, semi-automatic pistol in the hallway near the victim’s room. They also found shell casings.

Police request that anyone with information call the city police’s Robbery Squad at (412) 323-7151. They said callers can remain anonymous.