Shadow Lounge hosts Haiti benefit concert

By Christen DiClaudio

Between the decorated burnt orange and Dijon yellow walls of the Shadow Lounge, a quickly… Between the decorated burnt orange and Dijon yellow walls of the Shadow Lounge, a quickly growing crowd of about 50 people openly received jazz diva and host Phat Man Dee’s words of encouragement and an a capella song of peace.

“When I think of Haiti, I think of a beautiful country with beautiful religion and beautiful art,” PhatMan Dee said. “We must support them through this tragedy.

The event, a Haiti benefit concert, was called Sending Back the Spirit — and spirits were high among toe-tapping attendees of all ages.

“I feel sad for the kids in Haiti,” 11-year-old Caitlin Eirene said as she waited by the stage for the first band, Yours Truly, to play.

She said she was excited to drop her raffle tickets, sold for $1 each, into a variety of bags representing prizes ranging from free tarot readings to restaurant gift certificates.

Mary Gibson stood in the back of the lounge, by the bar. She is the co-worker of Phat Mann Dee’s sister and was waiting to film singer Christiane D.

“As soon as we heard about the event, almost everybody wanted to volunteer,” Gibson said of those in her Coldwell Banker office.

Everyone working at the event was a volunteer.

Irish folk singer Terry Griffith, soul singer Joy Ike, Rusted Root front man Michael Glabicki and trumpet phenomenon Sean Jones also performed in the concert.

“The tragedy of [the earthquake] was just so, like, ‘holy f**k, really?’ Haiti is poor but has so much culture and beauty,” Man Dee said. “The support tonight is great.”