Men’s Basketball: No. 3 Texas hands Pitt its first loss of the year

By Adam Littman

The young Pitt men’s basketball team didn’t have much time to grow before facing one of the… The young Pitt men’s basketball team didn’t have much time to grow before facing one of the nation’s top teams, and it’s youth showed in tonight’s 78-62 loss to No. 3 Texas in the championship of the O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic in Kansas City.

The Panthers (4-1) played sloppy throughout most of the game, turning the ball over 12 times compared to having just 11 assists. Numerous other Pitt passes didn’t result in turnovers, but were tipped or deflected out of bounds by Texas (4-0) defenders. Texas also out-rebounded Pitt 32-24.

Pitt also accumulated 20 fouls, resulting in 24 free throws for the Longhorns. Fortunately for Pitt, Texas had issues cashing in the free throws, hitting just 14-of-24 attempts.

While Texas won by 16, the Panthers held their own for most of the game. Pitt actually led 34-32 at the half. Texas didn’t have a double-digit lead until Dogus Balbay hit a lay-up with 5:45 remaining in the game. After that, Texas continued to roll as it nearly doubled its lead.

After scoring 37 of Pitt’s 68 points in yesterday’s winagainst Witchita State, the backcourt duo of Travon Woodall and Ashton Gibbs struggled mightily against Texas. Gibbs scored eight points, matching his season low, on 2-of-12 shooting and Woodall added seven points on 3-of-12 shooting.

Brad Wanamaker led the Panthers with 13 points and eight rebounds, and Gary McGhee was the only other Panther in double figures, scoring 11 to go with his seven rebounds.

Texas, however, had five players score at least 10 points, including four of its starters. Damion James led all scorers with 20 points. J’Covan Brown added in 12, and Balbay Avery Bradley and Dexter Pittman.

The Panthers have a few days off before returning home to face Youngstown State (3-2) Saturday at noon.