Basketball: City Game to be played at Mellon Arena

By Adam Littman

It’s only fitting that things come full circle for Mellon Arena, a building with a rather… It’s only fitting that things come full circle for Mellon Arena, a building with a rather circular shape.

Pitt and Duquesne, teams involved in the first two basketball games at the arena back in 1961, will play the last basketball game there on Dec. 2, the two teams announced yesterday in a joint press conference.

Mellon Arena is in its last season as home of the Pittsburgh Penguins and will be replaced by the Consol Energy Center, which is scheduled to open in the fall of 2010.

“This is great for the city of Pittsburgh,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. “It’s the right thing to do. There is a great history between Pitt and Duquesne in basketball, and this is an outstanding way to commemorate and promote the series.”

On Dec. 6, 1961, Duquesne beat Carnegie Tech, 78-40, and the Panthers lost to then-No. 1 Ohio State, 99-79, in the arena’s first basketball action. Pitt last played there March 17, 2004, against California in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, beating the No. 6 Golden Bears, 63-50.

The City Game has been played 34 times at Mellon Arena, with Pitt compiling a 20-14 record in those games.

The last time the two played at Mellon Arena was 2001, when Pitt won 78-63. The Panthers hold an eight-game win streak over Duquesne. The Dukes last won the City Game win 2001 with a 71-70.

Pitt holds a 46-31 record overall in the history of the game.

The game will count as a home game for Duquesne, as it was originally intended to take place at Duquesne’s A.J. Palumbo Center.