Market Central evacuated after flood

By Drew Singer

Market Central was evacuated around yesterday’s lunch hour as a few inches of brown water… Market Central was evacuated around yesterday’s lunch hour as a few inches of brown water flooded most of the area.

As fire alarms resonated throughout the floor, Market Central staff and additional University reinforcements scrambled to combat the water, which appeared to be flooding from a closet at the bottom of the steps leading from the Towers lobby to the dining area.

Armed with flashlights, walkie-talkies, sweepers and a water vacuum, responders hollered over the alarms to one another in an attempt to quell the torrent.

‘This is crazy. This is crazy,’ one staff member yelled repeatedly.

The water, which appeared deepest by the cashier’s area and the Flying S-T-A-R Diner, flowed past the Basic Kneads and Magellan’s dining stations. Simultaneously, the flood advanced into the Quick Zone and the dining area past Taco Bell.

Blocked by an understatement in the form of a ‘Caution: Wet floor’ sign, students in the Towers lobby crowded at the top of the stairwell to witness the hullabaloo.

“That’s a lot of water. This is great,” said Pitt student Jen McNaboe.

“I think it’s funny. The staircase looks like a dock in the ocean,” said Pitt student Peter Miller.

A security guard tried to keep the gaggle of students from getting too close to the chaos.

“Keep it moving. There’s nothing to see here, except the water,” he yelled.

Pitt officials on the scene could not immediately comment, as they were assisting with the cleanup.