Pitt News named one of nation’s best papers

By Staff Report

After you’re finished with today’s Sudoku, check out some of The Pitt News’ articles. You just… After you’re finished with today’s Sudoku, check out some of The Pitt News’ articles. You just might be reading the best student paper in the country. The Associated Collegiate Press named The Pitt News one of the top daily student newspapers in the country for its work last school year under the direction of editor in chief Annie Tubbs and advised by Harry Kloman. Out of 241 entrants, The Pitt News joins a list of 17 other student newspapers that are finalists in the four-year daily newspaper category for 2008. The Daily Pennsylvanian, from the University of Pennsylvania, was the only other finalist from Pennsylvania in the category. This is the second consecutive year that the Associated Collegiate Press has named The Pitt News a finalist. The association will name the overall winner Nov. 1 at a ceremony in Kansas City. Representatives from the St. Petersburg Times judge entrants on criteria including coverage and content, quality of writing and editing, leadership on the opinion page, evidence of in-depth reporting, layout and design and photography art and graphics. The Pacemaker award recognizes outstanding daily and non-daily newspaper and magazine publications at both two- and four-year colleges. The Pitt News, with a circulation of 14,000 issues daily, serves the Pitt campus in Oakland and its surrounding community.