Oakland gets cheesy

By Noah Levinson

Sorrento’s Pizza Roma 412-621-9129 Monday ‘- Wednesday 11 a.m. ‘- 11 pm,; Thursday ‘- Friday 11… Sorrento’s Pizza Roma 412-621-9129 Monday ‘- Wednesday 11 a.m. ‘- 11 pm,; Thursday ‘- Friday 11 a.m. ‘- 3 a.m.; Saturday 4 pm ‘- 3 a.m.; Sunday closed 233 Atwood St. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- YES ‘ ‘ ‘ Sorrento’s is usually a stop that every Pitt student makes at least once in his lifetime. While Sorrento’s has everything that you could ask for in an Italian eatery (subs, salads, specialty pizzas and $7.50 dinners), its most famous product is the $5 large plain pizza pie, which is good for pick up only every night after 8 p.m. and all day Saturday. If you’re not willing to walk out the door to pick up your pizza, Sorrento’s will also deliver, but the large plain pizza special is null and void unless you order four or more. Antoon’s 412-687-5446 Sunday ‘- Wednesday 10 a.m. ‘- 2 a.m.; Thursday ‘- Saturday 11 a.m.-3 a.m. 247 Atwood St. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- NO, CASH ONLY ‘ ‘ ‘ Since Antoon’s is practically Sorrento’s next-door neighbor, Antoon’s puts out a $4.59 large cheese pizza deal and often has quite the late-night crowd of students milling outside on Oakland’s pizza corridor. Next time you’re out on the town and need a cheap pizza with a celebrity-inspired twist, get the Sumter Special, a pie with seasonings on the crust named lovingly for Student Government President Link. Antoon’s owners recommend calling in advance before picking up your pie (although, if you walk in and ask for a generic name, like Steve or Joe, you might get lucky). And it’s all the time. While Antoon’s hours are longer than Sorrento’s, and they have cheap pizza all the time, the choice really comes down to personal flavor preference … and 41 cents. Larry and Carol’s Pizzeria 412-687-1189 Weekdays 11 a.m. ‘- 2 a.m., Weekends 11 a.m. ‘- 3 a.m. 410 Semple St. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- YES Larry and Carol’s has been around for more than 30 years, but they still have the most unique pizzas in Oakland. Their pride and joy is the Pizza Duo, a pizza with two layers of pie, which can only be described by trying one yourself. It also is home to the King Kong Pizza, a 28-inch monster of a pizza that can barely fit through the door. At a price of $23.99, though, it might be a wise idea to collect some money from all your friends before ordering King Kong. Say Cheese Pizza Co. 412-687-0606 Monday ‘- Saturday 11 a.m. ‘- 1 a.m., Sunday 11 a.m. ‘- 12:00 a.m. 3507 Cable Pl. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- YES ‘ ‘ ‘ Only top-shelf ingredients go into Say Cheese’s pizzas, and while you could go for a regular plain pie or maybe pepperoni, if you want to be a rebel the specialties abound on the menu. There are fajita steak and chicken pizzas, Pittsburgh pierogi pizza, and if you really want to get fancy, lobster pizza. The specialty pizzas do cost a little more than run-of-the-mill plain, but the adventure is well worth the price. Vocelli Pizza 1-800-707-1111 Sunday ‘- Thursday 11 a.m. ‘- 2 a.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. ‘- 3 a.m. 4740 Baum Blvd. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- YES ‘ ‘ ‘ Vocelli Pizza is a national chain, but close to students’ hearts because of the College Special. You can get an extra large 12-cut pizza with one topping for $7.99. Beyond plain pizza is a whole other world of specialty pizzas, specifically the Tailgate Trio: Grill Master Veggie, Buffalo Chicken and Steakhouse Ranch Pizzas. Even though Vocelli’s new location is closer to Shadyside, it does deliver, and it might be faster than waiting for Sorrento’s or Antoon’s on a late Saturday night. Little Nipper’s Pizza 412-499-3293 Sunday ‘- Thursday 11a.m. ‘- Midnight, Friday ‘- Saturday 11 a.m. ‘- 2 a.m. 216 N. Craig St. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- NO ‘ ‘ ‘ While this column is meant for pizza, do not forget about Little Nipper’s pastas and a variety of calzones: five cheese, steak, meatball and seafood. It’s also not a bad idea to try out the cheese or beef ravioli, gnocchi and lasagna. Pizza-wise, the cheese and crust really make this pizza stick out from the rest, and because it’s just a block or two past the Cathedral of Learning, it’s easy to give it a try in between classes. Milano’s Pizza 412-681-2858 Monday ‘- Saturday 11 a.m. ‘- 9 pm, Sunday: Closed 3606 Fifth Ave. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- YES ‘ ‘ ‘ Even at 11 a.m., Milano’s already has all their specialty pizzas lined up and ready to go out the door. If you’re not looking for a whole pie, come for lunch and take a load off in the dining room, because Milano’s sells pizza by the slice as well. It’s a little piece of New York-style pizza, serving its special two slices of pizza and a drink for $5.99. Milano’s also offers a college special just for Pittsburgh students: one large plain pie for $7.99. Sciulli’s Pizza 412-687-9287 Monday ‘- Friday 10 a.m. ‘- 7 pm, Saturday 11 a.m. ‘- 4 pm (open until 9 p.m. on days of Pitt games), Sunday: Closed 3404 Fifth Ave. Average Cost – $ Panther Funds ‘- No ‘ ‘ ‘ Sciulli’s sells its pizza by the slice or by the pie, not something easily found in Oakland. And it has a sit-down dining room in the front, although you still pick up your pizza from the counter. Hang out here, and you might find some UPMC hospital staffers watching the soap operas on the television. Sciulli’s charges $1.50 for a slice, the average in Pittsburgh, and $8.75 for a large plain pie. Pizza Pronto and Gyro House 412-407-4809 Sunday ‘- Thursday 11 a.m. ‘- 11:40 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. ‘- 12:40 a.m. 4611 Center Ave. $ Panther Funds – NO ‘ ‘ ‘ Need to stop your stomach from rumbling, pronto? You know where to call ‘mdash; this North Oakland pizza place has a consistently short wait time for delivery. Besides boasting absolutely scrumptious classic pies, Pizza Pronto offers a spaghetti dish so gloriously laden with a layer of cheese on top, your heart might stop when you lift the lid off the dish. But that’s not all: The pasta comes with a salad on the side and a soft and fresh loaf of garlic bread that’s worth the order on its own. Pizza Bellagio 412-688-8448 10:30 a.m. ‘- 12:30 a.m. every day 315 N. Craig St. $ Panther Funds – NO Steps away from the intersection of Craig Street and Center Avenue, Pizza Bellagio adds a touch of class to the North Oakland pizza scene. The wide-open dining area looks into the kitchen in the back, where the magic happens. The pizza here is good and can be delivered quickly, but the real hidden gems on the menu are the buffalo fries and the hoagies.