Beerman leaves Panthers after eight years as coach

By Pitt News Staff

Beerman resigns

Longtime Pitt volleyball coach Chris Beerman vacated the position May… Beerman resigns

Longtime Pitt volleyball coach Chris Beerman vacated the position May 13 to hunt for other coaching opportunities.

In his eight seasons at Pitt, Beerman led the Panthers to a 154-90 record, 70-30 in the Big East.

Beerman’s squads were particularly successful in conference play. Pitt won the Big East tournament title in 2003 with Beerman at the helm and made NCAA Tournaments in 2003 and 2004 as well.

“I know I’m leaving Pitt in a great position to continue on a successful path,” he said in a press release.

Pitt already lost assistant coach Alija Pittenger in March. Pittenger became the head volleyball coach at Fairfield University.

Pitt is searching for Beerman’s replacement.

Walker makes Comets

Former Pitt women’s basketball center Marcedes Walker officially made the WNBA’s Houston Comets opening day roster.

Walker wasn’t drafted but signed with the Comets as a rookie free agent. In her first WNBA game on Saturday, she pulled down four rebounds in eight minutes but didn’t score.

Also, former Pitt guard Laine Selwyn made the Indiana Fever. Selwyn, who finished her Panther career in 2003, had been playing professionally in Israel. This is her first WNBA season.

Walker and Selwyn are the first former Panthers to play in the WNBA.

Card earns honor

Softball player Sam Card was selected to the National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association Louisville Slugger All-Mid Atlantic Region second team last week.

The junior catcher was the first Panther to gain an all-region honor since Francesca DiMaria in 2003.

Card had a monster year at the plate. She hit .384, a Pitt single-season record. Card also hit 12 home runs and had 44 RBIs on the season.

“Sam did a tremendous job for us all season,” said coach Michelle Phalen in a press release. “She worked hard and proved to be the best catcher in the league.”