Grievance filed against Priestas

By DREW SINGER

A grievance for violating the SGB elections code was filed against the Dedication slate… A grievance for violating the SGB elections code was filed against the Dedication slate Thursday for receiving an endorsement from a business.

A poster promoting the slate-consisting of presidential candidate and current board member Jim Priestas, along with candidates for board Perry Servedio and Francee Varner – is on display in the window of the Forbes Avenue 7-Eleven.

“By allowing the placement of their banner in the storefront window of 7-Eleven, for a period of time longer than 12 hours, the “Dedication” slate has accepted an endorsement from a source other than a recognized or registered student organization, fraternity, or sorority at the University of Pittsburgh,” the grievance states.

Priestas does not believe he broke any rules. “They can file any charge against me if they feel that I broke the code; however, I personally feel that it doesn’t go against the elections code,” Priestas said. “But it’s not up to me to decide that, its up to the elections committee.”

The SGB elections committee will meet tonight to determine if Dedication violated the code and to decide on sanctions against the slate if it did.

“If found guilty, [Dedication] could face anything from us withholding their $100 deposit to disqualification from the election,” elections committee chairman Pat Moroney said.

The elections code states, “Only recognized student organizations, fraternities and sororities may endorse candidates.” It also says that candidates may not solicit or accept endorsements from sources other than student organizations, including businesses.

“I didn’t receive any endorsement from them, it’s like fliering anywhere else,” Priestas said. “I don’t feel I broke the rules.

“Unless they make me, I will not take that sign down.”

Freshman Yemi Adewunmi, who filed the complaint, said that she found the poster’s location to be unfair.

“I have friends who are running, and they didn’t go to any business to put up any signs or posters,” Adewunmi said. “I just want every slate to be on the same playing field.”

Adewunmi declined to comment on which candidates she is associated with.

“It’s really not a big thing,” Servedio said. “People hang up fliers everywhere and put their banners everywhere. It doesn’t necessarily mean the business that’s hanging the flier is endorsing the slate.”

Varner could not be reached for comment.