SGB has town hall meeting

By DREW SINGER

The new Student Government Board held its first town hall meeting yesterday night. While the… The new Student Government Board held its first town hall meeting yesterday night. While the focus of the meeting was intended to be women’s issues, the conversation drove the meeting toward more general student concerns.

“This is the time that we can learn about what students want on campus,” President Shady Henein said.

Several students and board members shared their concerns about Sodexho.

“It’s not healthy, and people are gaining weight,” board member Lacee Ecker said about the company responsible for feeding students on campus. “I would like to see some changes in Sodexho’s food variety.”

SGB will be meeting with representatives from Sodexho this Friday at 2 p.m. in the Marketplace to discuss these issues and invites students to attend.

Another topic of discussion is SGB’s ongoing attempts to improve Saferider.

“I don’t think it’s ‘Safe Rider,'” board member Shiela Isong said. “I think it’s ‘convenient rider.’ If we’re going to call it ‘Saferider,’ it needs to keep people safe.”

The board is having discussions with Saferider about improving their services, and they encourage students to call Saferider to file a formal complaint if they aren’t happy with it.

Another issue discussed was the stereotype about fraternities using date rape drugs.

“There’s even a nickname for one (fraternity),” one student in attendance said in reference to date rape drugs.

“My understanding is there has not been a complaint since I’ve been here,” board member Joshua Carl, who is a brother with Sigma Chi, said about date rapes at fraternities. “That rumor has been passed around before, and it’s just a rumor.”