Pitt track faster, not enough yet

By JOE BALESTRINO

Although the Pitt track and field team didn’t produce the finish its coach and many of its… Although the Pitt track and field team didn’t produce the finish its coach and many of its players desired at the Akron Quad Meet last weekend, head coach Alonzo Webb noticed that his team is actually faster than it was last year.

“The overall tone of the team is that we didn’t do very well, and many of the kids are disappointed in their personal performances,” Webb said in reference to last weekend’s meet. “But many of them are actually performing better and turning in faster times than at this point last year, which is encouraging.”

The team traveled last weekend to Akron, Ohio, to compete in their first meet of the year at the Akron Quad Meet. Although both the Pitt men’s and women’s teams finished second, the superb individual performances are a good sign of things to come.

The meet was actually the second of the indoor season for the Panthers, who competed in the Golden Flash Gala, hosted by Kent State, before the winter break. Having just returned, Webb wanted to ease his team back into competition.

“We are not trying to kill ourselves early, and it is not the goal to win the early meets,” Webb said. “We participate in these early meets to build strength and give our young guys experience. Our main goal is to be Big East champs; we’re just trying to build each meet so that the kids can peak at the right time.”

Even so, both the men and women’s teams finished behind host Akron but defeated Ohio and Big East opponent Seton Hall. The team’s overall accomplishments were highlighted by some particularly special individual performances, with Mike Wray stealing the show. The junior hurdler won the 60-meter hurdles event, setting a personal-best time of 7.82 seconds in the process. The time equaled the NCAA provisional qualifying time, the Panthers’ first of the season.

“Mike’s time of 7.82 was impressive not only because he met the NCAA qualifying time, but also because it was a time he didn’t reach all of last season, and he got it in his first meet of this season,” Webb said.

Also capturing first place was senior captain Kareem Cousar who did so in the 400 meters with a time of 48.66.

“Kareem ran his second best time ever, and his best time came at the end of last season, which means he’s well ahead of schedule. He will be a force in the Big East this year,” Webb said.

Sophomore Sam Perkins placed third in both the 60 meters and 200 meters. His time of 6.85 in the 60 meters was a personal best, marking the second straight meet he has set a such a time. In the 800-meter event, junior Sam Bair finished second with a time of 1:54.83, and senior Time Konoval came in third. The men also had some success in jumps with sophomore Eric Jones placing second in the triple jump with a distance of 14.59 meters. Freshman Brandon Turned finished third with a personal-best mark of 14.54 meters.

“Those guys are going to have a great season. Their jumps would’ve placed them at the Big East Championships last season,” Webb added.

The women also captured two first place finishes. Sophomore Mycaiah Clemon won the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.82, defeating the competition by .11 seconds. Junior Martina Hallman won the long jump with a distance of 5.91 meters and sophomore Janessa Murphy came in second at 5.80 meters. Murphy also finished third in the triple jump with a distance of 10.67

“Martina and Janessa both had their best ever opening marks in this meet which is a good sign for us,” Webb said.

In the 200 meters, junior Shanea Calhoun took third with a time of 24.57, and although not happy with her performance, her time was better than her mark a season ago. In the 400 meters, freshman Patricia Anyanwu came in third at 58.78.

The Panthers came through in the mile as well with junior Ali Briggs placing third at 5:10.14. In the 3000 meters, redshirt senior Nicki Angstadt placed second with a time of 10:20.14, and the women’s 1600-meter relay team also came in second.

The Panthers next meet will be at State College for the Penn State Open.