Track improving as Big East championships near

By JOE BALESTRINO

Pitt track and field coach Alonzo Webb has a plan, and winning the early meets is not a part… Pitt track and field coach Alonzo Webb has a plan, and winning the early meets is not a part of that plan. However, gaining strength and experience is. And this is exactly what Pitt is achieving, most recently at last weekend’s Penn State Open.

“This was our last preparation meet for the Big East Championships,” Webb said. “We took everyone who was healthy enough to run to Penn State, and they were able to gain some more experience. Some athletes even ran different events to help them gain strength.”

Despite just trying to stick to the plan and gain experience, the Panthers still performed well.

“As a coach, you are never satisfied, you always want more. But they ran well over the weekend,” Webb said.

Senior Julianna Reed stole the show for the Panthers by winning the 500 meters with a time of 1 minute, 15.09 seconds – a feat especially impressive considering it is not even her best event. In spite of winning the event, she was a bit disappointed with her time.

“Julianna is an All-American,” Webb stated. “She made a minor mistake, but still took the event. It was the first time she was running in the 500, and she is just now getting used to it. Both she and I know she can improve, but it was still an easy win for her.”

As usual, the Calhoun sisters came through in the sprints. Shanea Calhoun placed second in the 60 meters at 7.64 and second in the 200 meters at 24.36.

“Shanea continues to improve,” Webb said. “She is running faster than she ever has this early in the season and is well ahead of schedule.”

Her sister, Shantea, finished third in the 60 meters with a time of 7.66.

In the 800 meters, Selena Sappleton was the runner-up at 2:16.22. Her performance was striking because it was the first time she was running it at race pace. Coach Webb added that he was very happy with her performance and expects her to finish high at the Big East Championships.

Additionally, several of the Panther women distance runners set personal-best times in their events. Redshirt senior Nicki Angstadt ran her best time in the mile for a ninth-place finish at 5:04.67.

In the 1,000 meters, Ali Briggs took fourth with a personal-best time of 2:55.09. In the 3,000 meters, Suzy Bossart and Nikki Bielick set new personal-best times of 10:24.48 and 10:43.70, respectively.

Sophomore Janessa Murphy finished eighth in the triple jump with a personal-best mark of 11.20 meters. She also took sixth in the long jump at 5.58 meters.

“Janessa made a personal best by a foot and a half in the triple jump, and she’s just learning the event,” Webb said. “She is improving very rapidly and could be quite a surprise in the triple and long jumps at the Championships.”

The Pitt men had two competitors finish second in their events. Senior Andy Tomaswick was the runner-up in the mile with a time of 4:17.07, and junior A.J. Kielinski finished second in the weight throw with a distance of 17.47 meters.

Despite not having a standout performer, the men set many personal bests. Among them were both of Pitt’s runners in the 500 meters. Freshman Sidi Gueye finished fourth with a time of 1:05.29, and senior Brian Woods took sixth at 1:08.20. In the 60 meters, Sam Perkins finished fifth at 6.92.

“Sam is a short sprinter normally, but we ran him in a different event,” Webb said. “We also ran him in the 400 meters, he’s showing a lot of range and strength.”

The Panthers will return to State College this weekend to compete in the much bigger Penn State National Open, which will host some of the nation’s top track and field programs.

The meet is so competitive that only those athletes who have met qualifying standards can participate. The competition acts as the Panthers’ first true test with just under a month of regular competition remaining until the Big East Championships in February.

“Next weekend’s meet is typically the meet where we get a good gauge as to what we can accomplish,” Webb said. “It will give us an indication as to what we can do at the Big East Championships.”