Juvenile shot on Atwood

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

A 16-year-old male was shot in the ankle near the corner of Atwood and Louisa streets early… A 16-year-old male was shot in the ankle near the corner of Atwood and Louisa streets early Saturday morning.

City police discussed the shooting and other violent crimes around the city this weekend in a press release issued on Monday.

“A 16-year-old juvenile victim was on Atwood Street walking towards Louisa when he heard a gun shot and sustained a gunshot wound to his ankle,” Pittsburgh Police Commander Thomas Stangrecki said in the press release. “At this time, no arrests have been made.”

The shooting occurred at approximately 1:35 a.m., according to Pitt Police Chief Tim Delaney. The shooting is under investigation by the Pittsburgh Police Department, but Delaney said police don’t have many witnesses to work with.

“People heard one shot and then heard a kid screaming in pain,” Delaney said. “There wasn’t anyone seen in the area, but we believe the suspect was assisted by another individual.”

The shooting is part of a recent wave of robberies and random violence in Oakland. Pitt Police were seen Monday afternoon on Atwood Street posting flyers warning residents of two burglaries, one in Bouquet Gardens and another on Atwood Street.

The Pitt Police do not have a formal role in the investigation of Saturday morning’s shooting, but Delaney said, “We’re at [the Pittsburgh Police’s] service if they need it.”

“The Pittsburgh Police are handling this, and it is under investigation,” Delaney said. “But no one saw or heard anything.”

Delaney said he is “concentrating on the area” by assigning three extra officers to patrol the area around Atwood Street during the weekends when the area has a large amount of pedestrian traffic.

The 16-year-old male was sent to UPMC Presbyterian hospital for treatment.