Local jazz shows for cool summer nights

By JACOB SPEARS

If seeing free jazz shows is your idea of a good time, then Pittsburgh is the place to be… If seeing free jazz shows is your idea of a good time, then Pittsburgh is the place to be this summer.

Thanks to the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust and the Pittsburgh Jazz Society, the city gets to enjoy local and national jazz acts twice a week at no cost.

Every Tuesday this summer, the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust sponsors a double dose of jazz Downtown. The evening starts outdoors at 5 p.m. at Agnes Katz Plaza on the corner of Penn Avenue and 7th Street. Then the Backstage Bar, located at 655 Penn Ave. in Theater Square, hosts a different act at 8 p.m.

Here are some of the highlight performers playing Agnes Katz Plaza:

Mike Ferrante — a local saxophonist with national prestige — plays July 18. Ferrante was voted by Pittsburgh Magazine as one of the “top five horn players” for five consecutive years.

The Latin jazz quintet, Salsamba, fronted by guitarist Eric Susoeff, will be playing a mix of American jazz with Cuban, Brazilian and Caribbean rhythms on July 25.

On Aug. 1, keyboardist Kevin Howard, a soloist who plays mostly smooth jazz, will perform.

Performing the evening of Aug. 8 is Michelle Bensen, a jazz singer backed up by The Bensen Burners. Bensen has been singing in Pittsburgh bars and hotels since the age of 16.

Pittsburgher Kenny Blake has received international recognition playing smooth saxophone for over 30 years. He comes back to his hometown to play Aug. 29.

Shows at the Backstage Bar:

The Gerald Haymon Trio has been playing the Pittsburgh jazz scene for 10 years. On July 18 they’ll play a mix of jazz and contemporary R’B.

Having played with big bands along with jazz and dance groups, Don Aliquo — a saxophonist who also plays flute and clarinet — proves a highly versatile musician. The Don Aliquo Duo performs July 25.

After singing across the country, jazz singer Clare Ascani settled down in Pittsburgh in 1999. She’ll take the microphone on the night of Aug. 15.

Then, on Sunday, the Pittsburgh Jazz Society puts on a show at 3029 Washington Pike in the Rhythm House Cafe in Bridgeville with no cover charge.

Some notable performances include:

The Kenny Blake Trio will be playing in Bridgeville this Sunday just in case you can’t make it to his Aug. 29 show Downtown, or if you want to see him twice.

On July 23, the Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild celebrates its 20th anniversary. Featuring performers from the Pittsburgh Jazz Society, the show is one of many the MCG is holding in the area to celebrate 20 years.

They will be hosting another show at the Rhythm House Cafe on Aug. 20.

The Max Leake Quartet plays July 30. Leake, who has played alongside Joe Negri and Kenny Blake, has recently taken to fronting his own quartet on the piano.

Kicking off the month of August in Bridgeville will be Jimmy Sapienza’s Five Guys Named Moe on the sixth. Pittsburgh natives, Five Guys Named Moe is a lounge band whose songs about the city are in the vein of Sinatra.

Chuck Spatafore ‘ His Little Big Band will perform on Aug. 13.

The Jimmy Ponder Trio will play on Aug. 27. The trio — consisting of bassist Dave Pellow and percussionist Cecil Brooks III along with the band’s namesake — is a rising lineup in the Pittsburgh jazz scene, playing a unique blend of jazz mixed with blues and funk nuances.

So as the summer heats up in Pittsburgh, take the opportunity to cool down with some jazz from a wide array of the city’s best showcase of talent.