Cap comes closer — Graduation procedures

By KONRAD KLINKNER

Attention graduating Pitt students: If through some mad twist of fate you somehow forgot you… Attention graduating Pitt students: If through some mad twist of fate you somehow forgot you were graduating in less than two weeks and don’t know what to do, don’t panic just yet. There is still time to get back on the right track.

Students should have already been to the “Graduation Central” event in Alumni Hall, which was more than a week ago.

Those who haven’t been to “Graduation Central” may still be able to graduate, but they may not participate in the graduation ceremony without the full set of academic regalia. They make an exception for graduates in military uniform.

Graduation is slated for 1 p.m. on April 30th, a Sunday, at the Petersen Events Center.

Similar to a high school commencement, though without the tedious rehearsals, graduates need to arrive at the Petersen Center (through the Lawn Level Entrance) no later than noon on graduation day. This makes a smooth academic procession possible.

Masters’ and Bachelors’ degree candidates will be lined up in various Petersen Center areas depending on their school.

School of Arts and Sciences graduates are scheduled to line up in the Food Court on the Lawn Level of the Petersen.

Graduates from the School of Engineering will gather in the Multipurpose Room on the Event level.

Graduates from any other school will line up in the Practice Gym on the Event Level.

Doctoral candidates must go to the Event Level Green Room where they will be informed of their procession order at a registration desk.

Families and friends of the graduates need to enter the Petersen via either the Lobby Level Entrance or Concourse A.

When the ceremony begins, there will be a procession of graduates and faculty followed by the keynote speaker’s address. The featured speaker of this ceremony is Judith Rodin, the president of the Rockefeller Foundation and the first woman to take the helm of an Ivy League school.

When the speaker’s address is finished, the candidates for bachelor’s and master’s degrees will rise upon instruction from their dean to receive their degrees. Don’t forget to flip your tassel from the right side of your cap to the left.

Then, doctoral candidates will be led by marshals to the stage to be announced for their degrees.

For any further information on commencement, consult Pitt’s Web site on that subject at www.pitt.edu/commencement.

For questions on eligibility for graduation, ask either the University Registrar or the Dean’s Office.