Kanye show promises great music, maybe political commentary

By IAN REED

Kanye West

Peterson Events Center

Sunday, Oct. 23, 7:30 p.m.

$38.00 and up

This Sunday,… Kanye West

Peterson Events Center

Sunday, Oct. 23, 7:30 p.m.

$38.00 and up

This Sunday, Oct. 23, the Louis Vuitton Don himself, Kanye West, will pay a visit to the Petersen Events Center. West is currently in the middle of his “Touch the Sky” tour in support of his acclaimed sophomore album, Late Registration.

Right now, Kanye West is currently one of the biggest names in pop culture. His debut album, The College Dropout, has sold nearly 3 million copies to date and is considered to be a classic album. Thus far, Late Registration is poised to match that mark, having sold an impressive 860,000 copies in its first week alone. In addition to boasting huge sales, West has also made the news recently for a few outspoken remarks, particularly concerning Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

Despite all of this, West’s strengths lie firmly in his ability to produce good music, which cannot be overlooked. The College Dropout was worthy of all of the critical and commercial success that it garnered. Tracks like “Jesus Walks,” “Through the Wire” and “Family Business” showcased West’s unparalleled production abilities, while tracks such as “We Don’t Care” and “Last Call” firmly secured West among rap’s elite.

Although Late Registration is not as consistent an effort as The College Dropout, it is a natural progression in terms of production and lyricism. West claims that Late Registration is the most well-produced rap album of all time, and it very well may be. Only the featuring of several rappers of weaker ability than West, as well as the inclusion of several meaningless (although humorous) skits, detracts from this otherwise solid effort.

Although West has proven his abilities in the studio, it is less clear how well he will fair at a live event – particularly, how he will translate all of his wonderful studio production to the stage. West will also be without his collaborators, who appear on nearly every one of his tracks.

No doubt, this is one of the hottest tickets of the year, and it should not be missed. Kanye West is a rare talent that must be seen during his prime. Run – don’t walk – while tickets are still available!