Jazz-acoustic fusion promises unique concert

By ROSS RADER

“Festive Autumn Hues” Heinz Chapel Pittsburgh Artists Series Heinz Memorial Chapel Thursday,… “Festive Autumn Hues” Heinz Chapel Pittsburgh Artists Series Heinz Memorial Chapel Thursday, Oct. 20, 8 p.m. Tickets: $12

The fusion of American “cool” jazz and samba flows through Heinz Memorial Chapel and fills it with melodic harmony. The sophisticated and syncopated rhythms bounce off the stone walls.

The distinctive sounds of bossa nova spring forth from instruments held by three musicians completing their sound check. They are preparing for their upcoming performance at Pitt.

On Thursday at 8 p.m., John Marcinizyn, Mark Priore and Tommy Bellin will showcase their musical talent at Heinz Memorial Chapel. The trio of talented musicians that form the group Acoustic Swing will present a musical program titled “Festive Autumn Hues.” Their musical program is part of the Heinz Chapel Pittsburgh Artists Series. Admission is $12, and tickets for the entire concert series are $50.

“Festive Autumn Hues” will feature a melange of musical flavors sure to fill your horn of plenty. Classics from the Dixieland era and popular swing numbers by Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman and Charlie Christian will be among the evening’s selection. Acoustic Swing will also perform bossa novas by Antonio Carlos Jobim, standards by Jerome Kern and Irving Berlin, as well as dance tunes from the Misirlou to the rumba.

Acoustic Swing plans to perform a gamut of songs, ranging from the unusual to the recognizable and standard, such as the tune “Take the A-Train.” However, all songs are anticipated to be alluring to the ears. The group chooses which pieces to play based on what they have heard and liked in the past. All of the selections lined up for the show have been arranged by and specifically for the group. The trio’s combination of musical instruments is unique, requiring special arrangements of songs to be made.

The group’s guitarist, Marcinizyn, plays both steel and nylon-stringed instruments, using the latter for bossa novas. He also plays a Fly guitar, which does not produce the standard sound found in early jazz, but rather adds a unique and enhanced sound for some of the musical numbers. Priore plays the clarinet and the saxophone while Tommy Bellin plays the string bass.

Each member of Acoustic Swing hails from a diverse musical background, and they came together to form the trio eight years ago. The musicians boast a wide repertoire of music. Besides their involvement in the group, each member is an active participant in the musical community, teaching and performing at various events from concerts to special occasions such as weddings. “We’re all full-time musicians. This is what we love to do,” Marcinizyn said.

Many Pittsburgh Artist Series musicians will be performing in the near future. The Douglass Levine Trio will feature pianist and composer Douglass Levine, along with two of Pittsburgh’s most dynamic jazz musicians, bassist Paul Thompson and drummer Thomas Wendt. The Mike Tomaro Quintet is composed of talented jazz musicians in and around the Pittsburgh area. Daphne Alderson, Robert Sutherland Lord and Roger Zahab will also be performing.