Panthers set for cross-town clash

By JOE BALESTRINO

Pitt’s cross country team will kick off its 2005 campaign much like it has in past seasons:… Pitt’s cross country team will kick off its 2005 campaign much like it has in past seasons: with the Duquesne Dual Invitational. Unlike last season, however, the Panthers will have to make do without former Duquesne winner and eventual All-American, Maureen McCandless.

Her absence leaves the door wide open for all runners who aspire to meet or better her marks. The coaching staff will be looking for this competition with the hopes that the opportunity at hand will spark the emergence of a new leader.

McCandless capped off her senior cross-country campaign with a third-place finish at the Big East Championships and a fifth-place finish at the NCAA Championships, which earned her All-American honors. Both performances set Pitt records for the best finishes by a female runner. Head coach Alonzo Webb and assistants James Trautmann and Samuel Bair are still searching for someone who will step up and fill the void left by McCandless for this coming season.

One potential candidate is senior Lauren Shaffer, who finished 24th at the NCAA regional championships last year. One of the Panthers’ strongest returning runners, Shaffer’s 2005 debut will be delayed for at least a few meets until she fully recovers from an injury. Another possible candidate is senior Nicki Angstadt. Angstadt is eager to prove her value to the team, and so far she has done just that. Her preseason accomplishments have led to her being named as the top women’s runner.

The teams’ ultimate success, however, could depend on the assistance of senior Abigail Zaylor, sophomore Nicole Bielick and sophomore Ali Briggs, as well as the contributions of new recruits.

The men’s team has even more reason for optimism, given that six of their top seven runners are returning. Leading the pack is junior Tim Konoval, last season’s MVP, who also placed 30th at the 2004 Big East Championships. Not far behind him are sophomore Sam Bair and junior Eric Fleming, both of whom are expected to have breakout seasons in ’05, which could also help improve the team’s standings. With no seniors and numerous freshmen and sophomores on the squad, Webb has every reason to expect big things from his squad in the coming months as they attempt to build upon last season’s seventh-place finish at the Big East Cross Country Championships.

This Saturday’s meet marks the first meet of the regular season for both Duquesne and Pitt.

Editor’s Note: Head coach Alonzo Webb could not be reached for comment on this preview.