Soccer nets nothing in scoreless trip to Colorado

By JOE BALESTRINO

The women’s soccer team packed their bags and flew to the Mile High State last weekend to… The women’s soccer team packed their bags and flew to the Mile High State last weekend to compete in their toughest two-game series of the season. Evidently, their offense missed the flight.

In what is becoming a common theme for the 2005 women’s soccer team, a superb defensive performance was wasted by the offense’s inability to produce goals. This is not to say that the team lacked competitiveness: They battled two national powerhouses, the Universities of Denver and Colorado, to the very end. However, without offensive support, the Panthers were defeated in both games.

Denver 2, Pitt 0

The Panthers’ first contest in the Colorado Invitational took place on Friday night against the Denver Pioneers. The Panthers played well in the first half and went into halftime tied with the Pioneers, 0-0. The defense held until Pioneer Lleane Grimditch broke the game wide open, scoring both of her team’s goals in the second half. The Panther offense, led by midfielder Corina Sebesta, created numerous scoring opportunities, but was unable to finish any of them.

“We need to do a better job of finishing our chances,” head coach Sue-Moy Chin said on PittsburghPanthers.com. “We will regroup and be ready to play again on Sunday.”

Colorado 1, Pitt 0

As their coach predicted, the Panthers did indeed regroup and fought with one of America’s best teams down to the last minute. The team displayed tremendous heart in the 1-0 loss to the Buffaloes, which dropped the Panthers’ record to 2-4-1 overall.

The star of the game was 2004 Big East Goalkeeper of the Year Jamie Pelusi, who made numerous diving saves for the Panthers. Pelusi was everywhere, recording eight saves, while also intercepting and redirecting several Buffalo attacks. Her strong play kept the Panthers alive in the first half.

“We put forth a great defensive effort in this game, and Jamie played extremely well,” said Chin. “We played a very good Colorado team, probably the best team we have played yet. Unfortunately a defensive error led to their only goal.”

Pelusi and the Panthers continued to hold firm for much of the second half, but with less than seven minutes remaining, Colorado freshman Nikki Keller managed to sneak a shot past Pelusi, scoring the game’s lone goal.

Jennifer Kritch, Corina Sebesta and Meta Haley all had decent scoring opportunities for the Panthers, but in the end, the Buffaloes were too powerful. The loss marked the fourth-straight game in which the Panthers were shut out. Their last goal came on Sept. 4 in a loss against Toledo.

“Our number one concern is that we have not been able to find any offense; it’s just something that is going to take time,” Chin stated.

The Panthers continue play this Friday when they travel to Jamaica, N.Y., to take on St. John’s. They will return home on Sunday to play the Syracuse Orange. As coach Chin describes, every game from here on out matters.

“All Big East games are must win games, beginning with St. Johns.”

Despite their five-game winless streak, the women’s season (much like the football team’s) is not lost. A strong showing in Big East play could put the Panthers in the post-season. With this past weekend behind them, Coach Chin is optimistic about her team’s chances for the rest of the season.

“We are very excited to begin conference play.”