Pitt set to do its part in relief

By JOE BALESTRINO

As Louisiana and Texas prepare for a second hurricane, Rita, which grew to a Category 4 storm… As Louisiana and Texas prepare for a second hurricane, Rita, which grew to a Category 4 storm Wednesday, the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina continue to be felt.

Thousands of people remain homeless and the death toll – now at 1,033 – continues to rise; the region’s economy has been ravaged and the city of New Orleans is still months away from being fully functional – not taking into account the additional damage that Rita may cause.

America has responded, however, with people offering their homes and services and opening up their checkbooks for all those in need. On Friday, all Pitt students will have the opportunity to do the same and take an active role in the relief effort by contributing to the American Red Cross’ Disaster Relief Fund.

The Student Athletes Committee, working in conjunction with the Student Government Board and The Panther Pitt, has organized a fundraising rally to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The rally will take place Friday on the William Pitt Union lawn from noon until 5 p.m. Numerous Pitt student-athletes throughout the day will be manning tables and accepting donations on behalf of the Red Cross. There will also be additional athletes roaming the Cathedral lawn collecting money. The event will co-exist with SGB’s weekly Friday pep rally for the football team.

Although not every team member will be able to participate, each athletic team will be represented at the event. The idea for the fundraiser was generated by three of the members of the Student Athlete Committee: Jody Sykes, Pitt’s Director of Compliance, Ed Sucre of the baseball team and Megan McGrane of the volleyball team.

“Jody and Megan, along with myself, decided that we could do something for the victims of Katrina, so we asked the Student Athletes Committee if we could hold this fundraiser,” said Sucre.

Confident of the generosity of the Pitt community, Sucre indicated that a giant check would be presented to the American Red Cross at Heinz Field on Saturday during the Pitt football team’s game against Youngstown State.

The Student Athletes Committee, the Panther Pitt and the Student Government Board encourage everyone to donate, as 100 percent of the proceeds will be designated for the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund.