Senior-laden Panthers look to step things up on offense

By JOE BALESTRINO

The 2004 Pitt women’s soccer team endured another losing season, but junior forward Kristina… The 2004 Pitt women’s soccer team endured another losing season, but junior forward Kristina Francois advises against looking too closely at the wins and losses columns.

“I don’t feel this team has underachieved in any manner,” Francois said. “I feel that more emphasis has been put on our record than on the noticeable improvement and development of our program.”

The development of the program has been the focus of head coach Sue-Moy Chin since she became coach of the struggling team more than two years ago. Initially burdened with the process of rebuilding, Chin has every reason to be optimistic about this season with the return of 11 starters and 19 letter winners. The Panthers also welcome talented recruits Jane Ryan, Kylie Veverka, Erica Wright, Erin Myers, Kristy Fultz and Jen Kritch, along with Lauren Engel, a senior transfer from New Hampshire. Some of these newcomers will immediately compete for starting jobs, while the others will greatly enhance the team’s depth.

“When I first started here, my goals were to rebuild the team’s broken spirit, and to become competitive in the Big East,” Chin said.

A few years later, she now feels that these goals have been achieved and has since raised her expectations.

“I believe that this team is capable of making the conference tournament this year, and in the following years, of winning the Big East championship and earning an NCAA Tournament berth,” she added.

These goals may seem a bit unrealistic based on the Panthers’ 6-10-1 record of a year ago, but that mark does not take into account the team’s competitive play. The Panthers lost many close games by their inability to follow through on scoring opportunities that could have awarded them their first winning season of the decade.

This problem was not limited to last season, however, as a lack of offensive power and aggression has been the team’s Achilles heel for many years. To remedy the situation, Chin concentrated her recruiting efforts on midfielders and forwards.

“We must improve our attack,” Chin said. “We created lots of opportunities but lacked the finishing touch.”

Much production will be expected from the five returning forwards, especially from Francois, who led the team last year in goals (four), assists (four), points (12) and game-winning goals (three).

“I look for Tina to have a breakout season,” Chin said.

The Panthers also need to get more production from their midfielders, which Chin says should be Pitt’s deepest unit in 2005. In addition to the eight returning letter winners, numerous freshmen midfielders will intensify the competition for playing time. Senior Erin Hills, junior Corina Sebesta and sophomores Meta Haley and Rachel Vecchio should each play major roles at midfield for Pitt.

“I just hope I can contribute to my team’s success, which I am confident we will have,” Vecchio said.

“The midfield position will be the most competitive it has been since I came here,” Chin said on PittsburghPanthers.com.

Throughout the losing seasons, the Panthers have always been able to rely on superb defensive play, keeping them in many a contest. This reliable defense is what Chin considers the “backbone” of team.

“Team defense is an important part of the success that we have had over the last two years,” Chin said on PittsburghPanthers.com.

In her tenure, the Panther defense has recorded the fewest (23) and second-fewest goals-against (29) season totals in program history. This season, Pitt returns all five of its top backfield players. Seniors Jacqueline Reuter and 2004 team captain Aimee Romasco will be expected to provide leadership.

Much of the defensive success the Panthers have enjoyed can be attributed to outstanding goaltending. The Panthers will continue to rely on 2004 Big East Goalkeeper of the Year and all-Big East first teamer, Jamie Pelusi. This season will be the senior’s fourth consecutive starting season in goal. Pelusi holds school records for career shutouts (10), career saves (339) and career goals-against average (1.87).

“You just can’t say enough about Jamie,” Chin said. “She has developed into an outstanding goaltender and a very valuable leader as well.”

Chin will be assisted this season by both Monica Gerardo and rookie coach Lindsey Jones, a former member of the Women’s United Soccer Association’s New York Power. These women will help the Panthers confront many new challenges this season, including new conference opponents, thanks to a changed Big East. Among the new foes all Pitt teams will now compete against in conference play, the women’s soccer team is scheduled to host both South Florida and Marquette this season. These games lie in the midst of a key stretch for the Panthers in which they will play five consecutive Big East games at home.

“All Big East games are important,” Chin said. “Yet, we are also looking forward to our non-conference games against Denver, University of Colorado and Georgia.”

The Panthers officially open their 2005 campaign in West Virginia for the Marshall Tournament and will play their first home game against WVU Sept. 1.

“Realistically, this team can do great things this season,” Francois said. “It pretty much depends on how hard everyone works.”