Port Authority improves the Oakland-Squirrel Hill transit

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

Pitt students will have fewer reasons to say they can’t “Get there from here,” after Port… Pitt students will have fewer reasons to say they can’t “Get there from here,” after Port Authority adds two new routes to help riders get from Oakland to Squirrel Hill this fall.

“We’ve been planning to do something like this for some time now,” said Bob Grove, spokesperson for Port Authority. “Adding these two routes enables us to increase service to two areas where the service we currently have is very infrequent.”

The two new routes – the 61D Summerset and 61F Homestead Park – will diverge off of the 61C route, the busiest bus line in Allegheny County. Both are designed to decrease congestion on the 61C and allow riders more frequent connections from Oakland to Squirrel Hill, Munhall, Lincoln Place and Greenfield.

The 61D will allow riders who live in Frick Park – particularly in the new complex in Summerset – a straight, quick ride home, free of transfers and long walks. Between Downtown and the Forward Avenue stop on Murray Avenue, its route will be identical to that of the 61C. The 61D begins operating weekdays on Sept. 4.

The 61F will operate on a limited weekday schedule, serving as a link to Greenfield and Browns Hill Road. Between Downtown and Homestead, it will follow the same route as the 61C, offering students yet another option when trying to get from Oakland to Squirrel Hill.

Despite the addition of two new routes, Grove called the move cost-effective.

“Adding two routes like this is not really affecting operating costs,” he said.

Grove said that his alternative – to designate several 61C trips to go to other areas – would result in fewer buses with the 61C header and fewer trips to the end of the bus line in McKeesport.

“61C customers will still be able to get where they need to go,” he added. “If you’re a rider heading to the Squirrel Hill business district, and you always take the 61C, now you have other options.”

Port Authority’s changes don’t stop there. The 59U – which travels through Oakland to the Waterfront – will extend its service after 5:30 p.m. on weekdays and run all day during the weekends and on holidays. There will also be several additional stops on the route.

Another change to the route will lessen the amount of trips to Century III Mall on the weekend, meaning more trips will end at the Waterfront.