In Living Color star brings the Improv a few laughs

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

Back in his early elementary school days, Tommy Davison’s teacher was a bit of a psychic…. Back in his early elementary school days, Tommy Davison’s teacher was a bit of a psychic. Almost immediately, she pegged him as a comedian — he was always making his classmates laugh.

Davidson proved his teacher right years later when he made his comedic debut at a friend’s urging with an impromptu stand-up performance — at a Washington, D.C. strip club.

After opening for stars ranging from Luther Vandross to Kenny G, the “In Living Color” and “I Love the ’90s Part Deux” star packed up and moved to Los Angeles, ready to try his luck in Hollywood. While delivering mail and working at a deli to make ends meet, Davidson tried his luck at many of the comedy showcases throughout the Los Angeles area. His lucky break finally came one night when Robert Townsend and Keenan Ivory Wayans caught his act and called him for an audition for “In Living Color,” the show that introduced Davidson to the world.

Davidson had a knack for impressions, as fans of the show will remember. Whether he was imitating MC Hammer or spoofing Michael Jackson’s “Black or White” video, his exaggerations kept the audience in stitches.

From primetime television, he made a jump back to his stand-up days, starring in several Showtime comedy specials. Success followed him from network television to cable, as he poked fun at just about everything from horror films to commercials and continued doing his impressions, eventually introducing fans to his version of Sir Elton John.

He picks up additional material from his upbringing. Adopted at a young age by a white couple, Davidson has had to deal with racial issues throughout his life. His outlook, often mentioned in his comedy acts, is that since everyone laughs together, why can’t they live together?

After jumping back to the comedy club circuit, Davidson made another move, this time to the big screen. He’s become a comedy staple, appearing in movies such as “Juwanna Mann” with Vivica A. Fox and “Booty Call,” where he was reunited with “In Living Color” co-star Jamie Foxx.

Tommy Davison will be appearing at The Improv Feb. 10 — Feb. 13. For more information or for tickets, call (412) 462-5233.