Webb holds high hopes for both men and women

By JOE BALESTRINO

The 2005 Pitt track and field teams have surpassed most peoples’ expectations, but the… The 2005 Pitt track and field teams have surpassed most peoples’ expectations, but the Panthers still have not received much in the way of recognition. They have an opportunity to take a huge step toward acquiring widespread respect at the 26th Big East Indoor Track ‘ Field Championships at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y., this weekend.

Returning champions from the 2004 Big East Championships are Marissa Dudek in the pole vault, Tamara McGill in the pentathlon and Amanda Walker in the shot put.

The Pitt women finished third overall last year behind this year’s favorites Notre Dame and Miami. The men finished in 10th place. Based on last year’s results, the women entered this season with much higher expectations than the men and thus far have not been disappointing.

They have climbed into the top 25 and are ranked 20th nationally overall. In addition, the most recent NCAA dual meet power rankings have the Nebraskan women ranked first, followed by Pitt.

“It’s nice to be recognized, but a championship meet brings with it a whole different dynamic,” head coach Alonzo Webb said.

Webb hopes his men’s team finishes in the top half of the competition, possibly as high as third or fourth place. His expectations are much higher for the women, however.

“In a near perfect day and with a little luck, our women could very well contend for the Big East title,” he said. “You never know how championships will go, and there are many strong teams out there, but we will make a run at the title.”

In addition to the team competition, Pitt has a number of individual athletes who have a legitimate shot at winning their events. Some of these athletes include Justin Clickett, Matt Brousse and Amanda Walker. Sophomore standout Clickett is ranked first in the Big East in the shot put and second in the weight throw.

“I look at myself as the favorite in both events,” Clickett said. “I’ve trained hard this year, have a great coach and have matured a lot. I also think the men’s team can finish in the top five.”

Clickett participated in the highly competitive 2004 World Junior Championships in Italy over the summer. His experiences there and his training regimen have contributed to his stellar 2005 season.

Pole vaulters Matt Brousse and Keith Higham could both win that event, as they are currently ranked one and two respectively in the Big East.

“My goal is to stand on the podium with my two other teammates,” Brousse said, referring to Higham and Brian Dodds. “It is very rare for all three guys from the same school to be together on the podium at once, and I believe we can do it.”

When asked if he feels any internal pressure, he said, “My greatest challenger in the Big East is Keith Higham. It’s much nicer to have him as a teammate so that I can keep an eye on him. We have a friendly rivalry.”

Like Clickett, Brousse also believes the men’s teams will perform better this year.

“As a team, you’re going to see us place a lot higher,” Brousse said. “We’ve made so much improvement and are more well-rounded than in past years.”

Amanda Walker, the returning shot put champion, is another favorite.

“I have a very good chance at winning both events [shot put and weight throw], but can’t get too complacent,” she said. “I’m ranked first in both, but I’m going into the competition like I am ranked 10th.”

Walker would like to win both events and break the Big East records in the process, but she is fully aware of her competition.

“Notre Dame is probably the best team, pound for pound,” she said, “and Georgetown and Seton Hall will also be tough competitors. As long as we continue to do all of the things that have gotten us to this point, we should compete for the title.”

Other athletes who will make a difference include Maureen McCandless, the heavily favored runner in the 5,000 meters. She is ranked first in the nation in that event and has the fourth-fastest time in the world this year. Reigning Big East Champs Tamara McGill (pentathlon) and Marissa Dudek (pole vault) are favored in their events. Kimberly Lyles (200 meters) and Jeryl Wilborn (800) are expected to compete for first place in their events as well.

In addition to individual events, the relays also expect to perform well.

“I think our distance medley relay team can do really well this weekend,” sophomore Kareem Cousar said. “We have all the tools to win first place.”