Two students in accidents

Two Pitt student were injured on campus in separate motor vehicle accidents within 18 hours of… Two Pitt student were injured on campus in separate motor vehicle accidents within 18 hours of one another late last week.

Jamie M. Bennett, an English writing major, was struck by a motor vehicle Thursday at 5:21 p.m. while crossing Forbes Avenue, according to Pitt police. Police reports said the vehicle was driving from Schenley Bridge when it made a turn onto Forbes Avenue during an evening rainstorm.

Eyewitness reports varied concerning further circumstances of the accident, according to Sgt. Bart Stack of the Pitt police. One report said Bennett was crossing Forbes in the crosswalk when the vehicle drove through a light changing from yellow to red. A second agreed she was in the crosswalk, but insisted the light was red. A third witness agreed the light was changing, but said Bennett was not in the crosswalk.

Lynette Asson, a University nonaffiliate, was crossing the Schenley Plaza road that runs parallel to Forbes Avenue on her way to see a play at the Charity Randall Theatre, when Bennett was struck.

“I was crossing from the parking lot and heard a horrible, horrible sound,” she said. “I saw something flinging and flying, and cars screeching to a halt. I realized the horrible sound was a person getting hit.”

According to Asson, a 20-something driver of a four-door sedan struck Bennett, whom she referred to as a “rather small, petite person.”

She added that emergency personnel were quick to respond to the scene, and that various pedestrians stopped to help the victim.

“So many pedestrians and people walking around were kind that evening,” she said. “One older gentleman stopped and held his umbrella over the girl, and got her stuff that had [been] flung far away.”

City paramedics took Bennett to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital with what Stack said were non-life-threatening injuries. According to a UPMC Presbyterian spokesperson, Bennett is still at the hospital, in fair condition.

Amanda Patterson, a student in the pre-business program, was struck from behind by a motor vehicle on Bigelow Boulevard at 3:58 p.m. Friday. Police said Patterson was walking through the crosswalk from the Cathedral to the William Pitt Union when she was hit. Stack said that portion of Bigelow Boulevard has been a dangerous area in the past.

According to Stack, Patterson refused medical treatment from city paramedics, but allowed Pitt police to escort her to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital. Stack added that Patterson complained of a headache and shoulder pain after the accident.

Zone 4 city police are investigating both accidents, but they, as well as both victims, were unavailable for comment at press time.