Some good ‘ole twang and some great local festivals

By Staff Report

Turn the redneck up on Pittsburgh this summer and head out to see some good ol’ country music…. Turn the redneck up on Pittsburgh this summer and head out to see some good ol’ country music. With all the tall buildings around, it’s easy to forget that Pittsburgh is surrounded by woods and open country. A lot of the people who come in and out of the ‘Burgh have a lot of redneck in their past, and they aren’t ashamed of it either.

Slide into those worn-in cowboy boots, throw a cowboy hat on that sun-baked scalp, grab hold of that special guy or gal, and take in some country tunes in the city.

Hank Williams Jr. and Montgomery Gentry

July 30

Post-Gazette Pavilion

Bocephus is still at it. With a new album comes a new tour, and who better to entertain a crowd than one of the good ol’ boys of country music. Hank Williams Jr. was booed when he tried to play his own music, because everyone wanted to hear his daddy’s tunes. However, Hank rebelled and worked his way through the hard times to become one of the most successful country musicians in the business.

His newest single, “Why Can’t We All Just Get a Longneck,” is a fun track about shedding differences over a tall beer. With his new album, Hank proves that he’s got much more to give to the music industry and to his fans.

One of the biggest country acts in the industry at the moment, Montgomery Gentry, will be supporting. With a few albums under their belt, the band continues to pump out hit single after hit single, with fun songs and fun videos to go along with each hit song. Montgomery Gentry is a favorite on Country Music Television and country radio stations everywhere.

The combination of the two acts is impressive, to say the least. Hank Williams Jr. is one of the biggest and most recognizable names in country music, and went from loathed to loved in the early parts of his career, while the members of Montgomery Gentry have also worked hard to get to where they are now in the industry. This show will draw an eclectic crowd of old and new listeners of country music.

-Brian Palmer, Assistant A’E Editor

Kenny Chesney

August 22

Post-Gazette Pavilion

Kenny Chesney is new to the music scene, but that certainly does not mean that he is unknown. This easy-on-the-eyes country singer has a humbling voice that brings out the best of his homegrown songs. The Tennessee native appeals to many on both the country and pop-rock sides, but he prefers to be considered a country rocker. His vivacious persona and energized lyrics have garnered him a massive following, which has propelled his many recent top albums.

Perhaps his hit single “Young” epitomizes him best. The song tells of the wonder and grandeur of childhood, but laments that one cannot appreciate this as a child. His take on maturity and growing up had commercial success, but cemented his place as a deep-thinker as much as a singer. Other singles, such as “A Lot of Things Different,” “Live Those Songs Again” and “That’s Why I’m Here,” captured both the audience’s ears and minds, provoking thought about many of life’s pivotal times.

He began singing at bars in Nashville, living more on willpower than on his $5-an-hour performances. Since then, he has worked his way up to several hit records, his latest being the charismatic When The Sun Goes Down. He has recently contributed to fellow rocker Uncle Kracker’s new album, Seventy Two and Sunny and plans on connecting more with other rockers.

While Tennessee claims bragging rights, Chesney’s addicted fan base stretches across the country. Pittsburgh will get to see him perform this summer at the Post-Gazette Pavilion Aug. 22.

-John Nigro, staff writer

Local Festivities

There’s always something to do Downtown and in surrounding Pittsburgh neighborhoods, and that includes summer festivities that are either free or dirt-cheap. Save your cash and check out local music on the streets, hang out by the river and watch people try to float and take in all the rays close to home. Who needs the beach?

Three Rivers Regatta

July 2-5

Point State Park

Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers Regatta has been making waves for 27 years, but at this year’s festival, you can have your Cake and eat it, too.

The rock band Cake will kick off the regatta concert series, “Rock the Point” at Point State Park, Friday, July 2 with Good Brother Earl supporting. If sweets aren’t your thing, Hootie ‘ The Blowfish will perform Saturday, July 3, with special guests Tangerine and Bill Deasy.

On the Fourth of July, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra will provide the music for an Independence Day celebration that will include fireworks. Country music lovers will take over the festivities on Monday, July 5, when Dallas Marks, Povertyneck Hillbillies and Bill Currington open for Phil Vassar.

General admission for each of the concerts is $1, but children in strollers are admitted free. There will be no admission charge Sunday after 7 p.m.

While none of the concerts will be performed from boats, there will be some great water action in Saturday’s “Anything That Floats Race.” The Allegheny race, which will occur at 1 p.m. at the Point and is sponsored this year by Kennywood Park, tests competitors’ creativity and floatability as they paddle, kick and bail toward the finish line.

While it’s too late to enter the contest this year, it’s not too late to make plans for attending the festivities and rooting on vessels that were never meant to go near water.

-J. Elizabeth Strohm, Contributing Editor

South Side Summer Street Spectacular

July 15-18

South Side

The Coors Light South Side Summer Street Spectacular will begin to get back to its roots this year. The festival will run Thursday, July 15 though Sunday, July 18. On the weekdays, it runs from 6 p.m. until 11 p.m., and on the weekend, things get started at noon, ending at 6 p.m. on Sunday.

When the event first began in 1985, it had a more intimate, family-friendly setting that centered on the arts community, historic East Carson Street and local shops and restaurants. It was also on a much smaller scale back then, but the South Side Local Development Company is trying to make the event more reflective of the neighborhood’s character.

“Certainly, the Street Spectacular will not return to what it was in 1985 in only one year’s planning. But the sentiment is the same, and the changes being made will get us closer to that arts-focused, family-friendly event that it started as,” said Rick Belloli, executive director of SSLDC.

So what can you expect?

Well, this year’s festival will be held in a reduced geographic area, which will be between 12th and 14th streets only. There will be a greater emphasis put on keeping the community clean during the event, and there will not be a parade.

There will, however, be Swank’s Steel City Shows Carnival, an arts market, Pittsburgh’s Longest Sidewalk Sale, a live music stage, food court, a poetry reading and a “Mutt Strutt.”

For more information, check out www.southsidepgh.com.

-Ryan Walker, Contributing Editor

Jam on Walnut Street

July 31, Aug. 28

Shadyside

When you live in an area where sand is not conveniently placed beneath your feet and the only crashing waves you hear are those recorded on CD, you know you’re in Pittsburgh.

But for the beach babe or surfer out there, don’t frown quite yet when you pack away your bikini or Speedo. Head on over to Shadyside for the Jam on Walnut Street. For another summer, Miller Lite and Comcast will be presenting the festivities in Shadyside.

With the talents of acts such as Soda Jerk and Yves Jean, to name a few, there is no place you’d rather be on those hot nights of summer.

And with only two dates left this summer, why not get off your sunken-in couch already and mark them down. July 31 and Aug. 28 are nights to make plans to take a stroll down Walnut Street from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m.

On Saturday, July 31 from 7:15 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., Soda Jerk’s country twang will ring in your ears. Thirty minutes later, from 9 p.m. until 11 p.m., local legend Joe Grusheky will take over Walnut Street.

On Sat., Aug. 28 from 7:15 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., Yves Jean will perform his unique, hybrid style of jazz, blues and rock. From 9 p.m. until 11 p.m., singer/songwriter Bill Deasy will perform acoustic.

Can’t get enough? Jam on Walnut Street will be back with Fall Fest on Sept. 17 and 18.

-Ashley McGuire, A’E Editor