Crime in South Oakland rises again

By EDITORIAL

Beware of Oakland. South Oakland in particular.

There was an increase in violent crimes in… Beware of Oakland. South Oakland in particular.

There was an increase in violent crimes in 2003 compared to those reported in 2002 throughout this area of Pittsburgh. And already in 2004, there has been a rash of crimes reported.

The bulk of these crimes were committed in the area immediately surrounding Pitt — South Oakland.

If a violent criminal wanted to do some evil deeds, South Oakland is a prime location. It is the perfect place for criminal activity.

Landlords, who should be concerned with the upkeep of their neighborhoods, do not live in the neighborhood. Some of them overcharge their tenants and under-manage their buildings. Students heavily populate the area because Pitt has inadequate housing, so they flock to South Oakland for that off-, but not so off-, campus dwelling space. The bar scene is one of the best climates for criminal activity, and South Oakland has its share of bars, too.

South Oakland looks pretty shabby, and the majority of the residents do not have vested interests in the neighborhood. It is basically a backdrop for the campus community and rests in the shadow of the Cathedral of Learning.

This seems like an opportune time for Pitt to launch a campaign: “South Oakland: Safe for Students.”

The University already owns quite a bit of Oakland, and has made Oakland its home. It is about time Pitt take ownership of and clean up its backyard. Otherwise, the crime all around Pitt will continue to increase as the standards of living gradually decrease.

South Oakland is defined as the part of Oakland that lies south of Forbes Avenue. That is the same Forbes Avenue on which Sennott Square, David Lawrence Hall, Hillman Library, Litchfield Tower and Schenley Quad are all situated. In fact, some of these campus buildings are in South Oakland.

If Pitt would buy and manage some more South Oakland real estate, making it a student community, the crime rate could quite possibly decrease.

As an urban campus, Pitt does what it can to ensure this is a safe place to be. However, most of the students are not on campus, and the violent crimes happening around campus affect Pitt’s clients — the students and their families.

As for community decor, there are Pitt Project and Clean Up Oakland efforts. However, South Oakland should not just be a volunteer site; it should be recognized as a part of home.

Imagine a South Oakland where there are University lampposts and emergency call boxes — not just in Bouquet Gardens, but everywhere. It would be a place where garbage pick-up happens consistently. Sidewalks and streets would be cleared and salted during those memorable winter months. It might actually be a safe place for the large number of Pitt students who live there, and these students — and their parents — could thank Pitt for making and keeping South Oakland safe.

Go ahead Pitt, invest in South Oakland. The catchy slogan has already been created for all marketing materials: “South Oakland: Safe for Students.”