Let’s hear 10 cheers for a great year

By EDITORIAL

For the final editorial of the year, the editorial board of The Pitt News decided to take a… For the final editorial of the year, the editorial board of The Pitt News decided to take a look back at a memorable year. There were many reasons to love Pitt this year, and we narrowed it down to ten. Here they are, in no particular order.

Our superb athletes

Alyse Zeffiro was the first gymnast to score a perfect 10 for Pitt, and she did it twice in one meet. She was just the third to win an individual title in the East Atlantic Gymnastics League.

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, meanwhile, was not only a runner-up for the Heisman Trophy, he’ll also most likely be taken in the top five in the upcoming NFL draft. It’s a great source of pride to attend school with such luminaries.

Pittsburgh’s resources being fully utilized

Pitt baseball played in PNC Park, as did Bruce Springsteen. The National Rifle Association brought tourist dollars and attention to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. Young people seen in the city after 5 p.m.? It’s a miracle!

Awesome rookies in high places

Panther basketball made it to the Sweet Sixteen again, which isn’t terribly shocking. But they did it under first-year coach Jamie Dixon and brand-new Athletics Director Jeff Long. Way to go, gentlemen. No more Nationality Room saunas

Anyone who’s ever sweated through a summer class in the Cathedral will appreciate getting central air installed in that sweatbox — finally.

We can still get there from here

Despite dire financial straits and discouraging warnings, Port Authority Transit buses are still running — for the time being, at least.

National media interest

ESPN’s College GameDay came to Pitt to show the world how much we love the Panthers, and Sports Illustrated on Campus has been here and covered us all year.

Worldwide celebrities appear

American HiFi. Kofi Annan. Sherman Helmsley. Bobby Seale. Dan Patrick. Phantom Planet. Prince Andrew. Chuck Palahniuk. Nancy Cartwright. All of them came here. We rule.

More alcohol comes to South Oakland

Spice Cafe opened this year, as did Johnny Rotten’s and a bar at Qdoba. Booze, on a college campus? Who’da thunk?

Interest in college voters hinted at

Presidential candidate John Kerry addressed a huge crowd on Bigelow Boulevard last week. Maybe politicians really do care about young people. If we vote, they’ll have to care.

Wait, is it spring already?

After schizophrenic weather tortured Pitt students for months, it seems Mother Nature has finally given up her grudge against us.