Take credit for nutritional McProgress

By EDITORIAL

In accordance with its “Eat Smart, Be Active” initiative launched last year, McDonald’s is… In accordance with its “Eat Smart, Be Active” initiative launched last year, McDonald’s is making menu adjustments, including phasing out its Supersize fries and drinks.

McDonald’s spokesman Walt Riker claimed, “the driving force here was menu simplification,” and said that not many Supersize fries are sold.

It’s great to see McDonald’s taking steps to bring their food choices down from the hyper-caloric stratosphere they inhabit now. However, what’s the harm in acknowledging that pressure from obesity lawsuits and Americans’ desire to find healthy choices may have figured in? Gigantic portions of unhealthy food are targets of nutritional watchdog groups, and they should be. There is no need for anyone to eat that many deep-fried potatoes — but when they are delicious, cheap and available, it can be hard to say no.

McDonald’s seems to want to bow to pressure, but not admit it’s bowing. What’s wrong with admitting to culinary sinning, then agreeing to go forth and sin no more?

Perhaps McDonald’s wants to maintain that they were never in the wrong, and that simple economics are behind the move, in order to maintain a fa