Baseball sweeps Virginia Tech over weekend

By JIMMY JOHNSON Staff Writer

The Pitt baseball team started its Big East schedule by sweeping Virginia Tech in a… The Pitt baseball team started its Big East schedule by sweeping Virginia Tech in a three-game series over the weekend in Blacksburg, VA.

” [It was a] significant weekend,” head coach Joe Jordano said. ” [It] feels great to be 3-0 in the Big East.”

The Panthers (14-4 overall, 3-0 Big East) were powered by senior P.J. Hiser, who went six-for-11 at the plate over the weekend, while scoring four runs and knocking in six against the Hokies (12-9, 0-3).

His weekend totals, combined with his statistics from his two games against Niagara earlier last week, earned him Big East Player of the Week honors for the second time this season.

“He’s a heck of an athlete,” Jordano said. Jordano complimented Hiser on how well he’sfilled in in the outfield for Peter Parise, who was unable to attend the weekend series for personal reasons.

Pitt 3, Virginia Tech 0

Senior pitcher Nick Evangelista recorded his first complete game of the season in the first of two scheduled contests on Saturday. He did not allow a Hokie to cross home plate. Evangelista allowed only five hits and struck out five batters in the shutout victory.

“[Evangelista] had command of his pitching,” Jordano said. “He has to be on point for us to be successful [this season].”

All of the Panthers’ runs came in the third inning. First baseman Tom Cashman’s single scored center fielder Ben Copeland. Hiser followed with his eighth home run of the season. The two-run homer gave Pitt a 3-0 lead that Evangelista preserved.

Pitt 5, Virginia Tech 4

Pitt found itself in a 4-1 hole heading into the top of the seventh inning of Saturday’s nightcap. After scoring an unearned run in the seventh, Pitt rallied in the eighth, scoring three runs and taking a 5-4 lead.

After second baseman Jim Negrych doubled, Cashman singled, driving him in. Cashman was replaced on the base paths with pinch-runner David Cline, who did not have to run too fast to make it home when Hiser smacked an RBI-double to tie the game at four.

Hiser later scored the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly by catcher Mike Zambriczki. Hiser finished two-for-four at the plate with two RBI’s and a run scored. Copeland had a game-high three hits and added one RBI to his season totals.

Pitt 12, Virginia Tech 11

Pitt played the final game of the series on Sunday, and found itself in a 6-6 tie heading into the seventh inning. After Hiser provided the go-ahead run when he knocked in Negrych with a triple in the seventh inning, the Panthers came to bat in the eighth and sent five batters across home plate.

All five runs came with two outs in the inning. Catcher Alex Rybczak doubled after third baseman Mike Scanzano struck out. The bases were loaded after Cline walked and Tony Marciante singled.

With the bases load, Copeland struck out and Virginia Tech pitcher Nicky Bowers looked to be out of a jam. But Bryan Spamer came to the plate for Pitt with two outs, and singled in the first run of the inning. Negrych followed with a two-run single.

Hiser followed in Negrych’s footsteps, and hit a single, driving in Spamer. After Cashman walked to load the bases again, Hokie pitcher Adam Redd walked Scanzano to force Negrych to come home and give the Panthers a 12-6 lead.

The Hokies rallied in the bottom of the eighth, but fell one run short of tying the game at 12.

The Panthers will travel to Cleveland State on Mar. 30 to take on the Vikings at 3 p.m.