Jim’s Big Ego is everywhere!

By AMANDA WALTZ

Boston-based band Jim’s Big Ego has been compared to such acts as They Might Be Giants. It… Boston-based band Jim’s Big Ego has been compared to such acts as They Might Be Giants. It has also been recommended in the December 2003 issue of Entertainment Weekly as “wise-acre rock a la Weezer.” It’s no surprise, considering some of their songs contain lyrics very similar to the fun, uninhibited style of both Giants and Weezer. For example, a track called “Party on the Everglades” from their newest album, They’re Everywhere, released in November of 2003, contains nonsense like “She’s got the bejeezuz/bleeding from her arms/she’s autostigmatismatic/she sets off car alarms.” Lyrics like these contribute to what Ego calls its very “unpop” sound — intelligent pop songs that alternate between unabashedly hilarious and unpretentiously moving.

Jim’s Big Ego is a trio led by singer/songwriter and guitarist Jim Infantino, and rounded out by classically trained bassist Jesse Fleck and drummer Dan Cantor. Since the band’s formation, the three have released four full-length albums, including They’re Everywhere, a collection of 12 songs ranging from the melancholy yet cheery “Mix Tape” to the humorous “Math Prof Rock Star.”

Because of their appeal, they have shared the stage with such bands as Cake and Moxy Fruvous and The Push Stars, and musicians like Ani DiFranco and Jill Sobule. Fans of bands like They Might Be Giants, Weezer, The Presidents of the United States of America and Phish might want to give this unusual group a try.

Jim’s Big Ego performs at Club Cafe on the South Side Thursday. For more information, call (412) 431-4950.