Construction will make Cathedral a cooler place

By Laura Jerpi

The new addition of strategically placed temporary partition walls on the second and third… The new addition of strategically placed temporary partition walls on the second and third floors of the Cathedral of Learning is making it quite difficult to get around these days.

According to a facilities management report, a $20 million renovation project funded by the state started at the beginning of the month in the Cathedral. The renovation involves installing forced air ventilation, air conditioning, temperature controls and sprinklers, and updating the electrical system in 49 classrooms and various offices located on the two floors.

This project will be completed in two separate phases. The first part involves the renovation of the second- and third-floor classrooms on the Bellefield Avenue side of the Cathedral. The second part of renovations includes the classrooms on the Bigelow Boulevard side.

In addition, the air conditioning and fire sprinkler protection systems on floors seven through nine will be replaced.

The temporary partition walls were constructed to help isolate the construction work from the public. To keep noise to a minimum, most of the necessary, noisy, demolishing work will be done between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.

The construction should be completed by December 2004.