Gymnastics splits over weekend

By JIMMY JOHNSON Staff Writer

The Pitt gymnastics team placed ahead of Maryland with a school record-making 193.45… The Pitt gymnastics team placed ahead of Maryland with a school record-making 193.45 points, but still fell short to host Ohio State in the Panthers’ season opener on Saturday.

Ohio State (3-0) scored 193.775 points in the meet to sneak past the Panthers (1-1 Overall, 1-0 East Atlantic Gymnastics League), as Maryland (0-2, 0-1 EAGL) scored 192.825.

“Our seniors competed really well,” Head Coach Debbie Yohman said.

Senior Diandra O’Connor recorded a total of 38.925 for the Panthers in four events. Her performance on the vault led to a career-high score of 9.85. The score also tied the school record, which was set by former Panthers Nathalie Sulpher and Heather Launse.

Yohman described O’Connor’s performance at Ohio State as tremendous. O’Connor had been away and combating the flu, which kept her away from practicing in the weeks leading up to the event.

Senior Erika Goldberg received a 9.725 in the vault competition to help pad the Panthers’ score on the vault. Goldberg also scored a team-high 9.825 in the floor exercise, which was a tie for third in the competition.

Others competing in the floor exercise were senior Lisa Yarosh and sophomore April Pearson, who both recorded scores of 9.775. The floor exercise was the Panthers’ top scoring event with 48.625 points.

On the balance beam, the Panthers scored 48.225 points, which was first out of the three schools at the competition. O’Connor tied Ohio State’s Megan Porter for first overall on the balance beam with a score of 9.825.

Senior Alyse Zeffiro scored a 9.775 on the balance beam, which put her in a tie for fourth place. Yarosh recorded a 9.725 on her routine to place sixth on the balance beam.

Yohman also commended her freshmen performers for doing a great job in their first collegiate meet. Freshman Andrea Arlotta was the top scorer on the uneven bars routine for the Panthers with 9.75.

Freshman Robyn Marszalek supported Arlotta’s score on the uneven bars routine with her own score of 9.675.

The Buckeyes’ top performer of the day was senior Tiffanie Janke. She placed first in the floor exercise with a score of 9.85. She also scored a 9.925 in the vault competition.

Maryland’s top performer was sophomore Rachel Martinez who scored an overall 39.3 at the meet. Her performance moved her into a position where she is tied for 14th in the country.

The Panthers will play North Carolina State and James Madison at Fitzgerald Field House on Friday, at 7 p.m. for their home opener.