Swearing Kerry should keep talking

By EDITORIAL

Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry used some mighty salty language in the most recent… Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry used some mighty salty language in the most recent edition of Rolling Stone.

In reference to George W. Bush’s handling of the war in Iraq, Kerry said, “When I voted for the war, I voted for what I thought was best for the country. Did I expect George Bush to f— it up as badly as he did? I don’t think anybody did.”

Strong words from one who hopes to lead the country. While it is refreshing to hear someone in the spotlight make such a blunt statement of what so many are thinking, it was a risky move.

Kerry’s candidacy is on the line. He will be held to a higher level of scrutiny now that he is “the swearing politico.” His words will certainly come back to haunt him, possibly marking him as a firebrand, and possibly leading to the expectation that he will always speak so plainly.

He has perhaps done a disservice to the Democrats, and perhaps has done the opposite. His words are the first real sign of life from a party that is perceived to be mired down with too many candidates and lacking the spine to be decisive. So, while it’s encouraging to see such spunk, it’s too bad Kerry had to resort to locker-room language to show it.

Regardless of the effect of such a statement, one thing is certain. Kerry has called attention to himself and to his views. The right thing to do, now, would be for him to back up his expletive with some substance. If he thinks Bush is mishandling the conflict, now is the time for him to tell the country what he would have done differently, or how he will clean things up if he is elected president.

The White House is calling for Kerry to apologize for his remarks. He’s got their attention; he’s rattled them. He should capitalize on his moment of being thrust into the spotlight. He has ripped open the range of tolerable political discourse on the administration’s handling of the war. Now he must dive in headfirst.

It’s truly heartening that someone with so much to lose is willing to speak so boldly. What would be encouraging would be to see Kerry use his un-presidential lead-in to say something truly presidential. Many people are unhappy with the way the war is going. So far, no one has given any decent suggestions. Kerry could be the man to do it.

One thing is certain. No matter how much the White House cries and huffs and puffs, John Kerry should not retract his statement, or apologize for it, or try to mitigate it in any way. He said it; he meant it. Now he should stand by it and back it up.