Editorial: The Pitt News endorses Tom Wolf for governor

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

Today, Pennsylvania voters will choose their next governor. Republican incumbent Gov. Tom Corbett faces Democratic challenger Tom Wolf for the state’s highest office. This decision shouldn’t be a difficult one.

Under Tom Corbett’s watch, education has taken an inexcusable hit. His administration’s cuts to funding education have proven disadvantageous to not only Pennsylvania students, but to the entire state.

Education fuels a successful society, which is a fundamental concept Corbett failed to recognize. As students and Pennsylvania residents, it’s our responsibility to vote Tom Wolf into office. The York County businessman has promised to restore $1 billion to education. If he delivers on this promise, school districts and higher education institutions will finally be relieved from the inadequate state support provided by the Corbett administration. 

When universities are deprived of proper state funding, they must adapt. To do so, universities must abandon their holistic education priorities and instead adopt a more corporate model. This trend toward profitability hurts those in non-science, technology, engineering, and mathmatics (STEM) fields and discourages funding for the liberal arts. 

Additionally, young voters should pay attention to social issues in this election. Pennsylvania deserves a candidate who proudly supports marriage equality and respects a woman’s right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. Corbett has failed to lend support to both of these points. 

Despite the legalization of same-sex marriage in Pennsylvania, Corbett has opposed marriage equality and, although not challenging for a reversal of same-sex marriage legalization, has failed to be a leader for the LGBT community. Furthermore, according to The Patriot News, Corbett signed legislation to prohibit private insurance companies from offering abortion coverage in the marketplace created under the 2010 federal health care law. This is a clear attack on abortion rights.

Corbett has also been too slow on calling for medical marijuana legalization. Tom Wolf has said he would sign legislation to legalize medical marijuana — decisive executive action that Pennsylvania needs.

Corbett has had four years to show Pennsylvania why he deserves a second term. He has failed and failed considerably. Instead, Tom Wolf can spearhead the change Pennsylvania needs as a leader in education and social freedom. Let’s give him this chance.