Page shoots Pitt past 320 All-Stars

By JIMMY JOHNSON Staff Writer

Center Toree Morris scored 14 points, pulled down 13 rebounds and blocked three shots in… Center Toree Morris scored 14 points, pulled down 13 rebounds and blocked three shots in Pitt’s first exhibition game as the Panthers defeated the 320 All-Stars 101-85 at the Petersen Events Center Wednesday night.

“Toree looked like Shaquille O’Neal,” guard Carl Krauser said.

Morris, who worked hard in the off-season to decrease his body fat to 12 percent, went 5-for-5 from the floor and dominated the frontcourt. Krauser said he plans to look for Morris more down low when he’s leading the team down the court.

“If you feed the dog a bone, they’re going to obey what you say,” Krauser said, “so I’m going to go out there and get the big man the ball.”

Three other Panthers finished in double digits. Forward Chevon Troutman was 4-for-8 from the floor, scoring 12 points and recording seven rebounds. Krauser finished the game with 16 points and seven assists.

Guard Julius Page came out firing threes and led the team with 22 points. He finished the game 8-for-13 from the floor and 6-for-9 from three-point land.

It was head coach Jamie Dixon’s priority to get Page onto the floor and into condition. Page has been bothered by an ankle injury and has only just begun practicing with the team. Page’s ankle injury did not allow him to run up and down the court in practices, but he would go to the gym and practice his shooting all day.

“I wouldn’t leave until I made 500 jump shots,” Page said.

Page led the team in playing time with 32 minutes. He said he went to Dixon and told him that he wanted to put in a lot of time.

“Julius always comes out ready to play,” Krauser said.

The first half started out shakily for the Panthers. They were 15-of-30 from the floor and went into the half only up by seven points, 49-42.

Dixon attributed the slow start to the small amount of practices held before the game. Last year, the Panthers had 25 practices before their first exhibition game, whereas this year, they only had 13 before Wednesday night’s game.

After the 320 All-Stars scored a bucket at the beginning of the second half, Pitt went on a 17-5 run, which put them safely ahead for the rest of the game.

The Panthers hit three three-pointers, one from Page, then two from guard Yuri Demetris, to help keep the 320 All-Stars far behind.

“I thought we saw some good performances,” Dixon said. “We were really happy with our freshman group.”

Freshman forward Chris Taft came off the bench, scoring eight points and grabbing eight rebounds. He finished the game with a dunk that excited the crowd. Forward Levon Kendall missed a free throw, and after the ball bounced in and out of the hands of several players, Taft pulled the rebound down. He then jumped and dunked the ball.

“We’re ready to take on anyone in the Big East, [Atlantic Coast Conference], or any other conference,” Krauser said. “We’re just looking forward to Alabama next Friday. We’re going to take it one game at a time.”

The Panthers’ next exhibition game is Sunday at 7 p.m. against the EA Sports All-Stars. Their first regular season game is Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. against Alabama at Madison Square Garden.