Krauser ready to step up

By JOE MARCHILENA

The biggest question facing this year’s men’s basketball team is simple: how do you replace… The biggest question facing this year’s men’s basketball team is simple: how do you replace Brandin Knight?

Senior guard Julius Page has an answer, and it’s as simple as two words – with Carl.

A redshirt sophomore, Carl Krauser spent last season as Knight’s backup, watching and learning what it takes to run the point in Pitt’s system and lead a team. This year, Krauser says he is ready.

“I’m more than comfortable with taking over and being the starting point guard of this team,” Krauser said. “If I don’t lead them to a winning game, they’re not going to trust me to be a leader.”

Last season, Krauser came into games to give Knight a breather and he often excited the crowd with his ball-handling and passing abilities, averaging almost three assists per game to go along with six points and three rebounds.

Starting in the backcourt with Krauser will be Page.

Page was named the Most Outstanding Player at the Big East Tournament and also earned All-Big East third-team honors.

After leading the Panthers in scoring last season, averaging 12.2 points a game while grabbing 3.4 rebounds in 32.1 minutes last season, Page knows that, this year, he needs to step up.

“I need to be on the court; it’s as simple as that,” he said. “Somebody is going to have to step up. I’m going to do it, and I’m ready to do it.”

Completing the Panthers’ trio of guards will be fifth-year senior Jaron Brown. Although he plays what is normally considered the small forward position, Brown is used as a guard in the Panthers’ offense.

After leading the Panthers in rebounding during the 2001-2002 season, Brown, who was named to CNNSI’s All-Glue team, spent most of his time doing the little things on the court that often times go unnoticed. Last year, he averaged a career-best 10.7 points a game and finished second on the team in rebounding, grabbing five boards per contest.

The one hole that both Page and Krauser realize needs to be filled is the one that Krauser is leaving – the backup point guard.

“We need to replace Carl more than anything because Antonio [Graves], our backup point guard, doesn’t have the experience, and he hasn’t been there like Carl has been there,” Page said.

Graves, a freshman from Mansfield Senior High School in Ohio, was given a scholarship in August after averaging 19.2 points and 3.1 assists per game during his senior year of high school.

Despite his inexperience, Krauser feels that Graves will be able to step in and contribute.

“The guy behind me really came in and stepped up over the past months,” Krauser said about Graves. “I think he’s a good player, a good shooter, and he’s athletic. He’s a good quick learner. He’s going to be one of the best players in the Big East conference in years to come.”

Also joining Graves as backups are Yuri Demetris and walk-ons Carlo Dorazio and Charles Small.

A redshirt junior, Demetris played in 20 games last year, averaging 2.1 points and 6.7 minutes per game. Dorazio, who is the only player in Pitt history to wear No. 0, saw action in 10 games last season.

While expectations are not as high compared to last year’s squad, Page knows that this team will be right there with everyone else.

“I think it’s a real good team,” he said. “As far as potential-wise and raw talent, I think it’s a better team [than last season], but nothing can replace experience, and I think that’s something we’re going to get as the season goes on.”