Greeks auction themselves

By NIKKI SCHWAB

In classic MTV style, brothers and sisters of Pitt’s Greek community danced, sang and even… In classic MTV style, brothers and sisters of Pitt’s Greek community danced, sang and even shook their “bon bons” across Club Laga’s stage at the Greek Auction.

The event, hosted by MTV celebrity Eric Nies, benefited the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. The Greek community united to raise more than $13,000 for the night’s event.

Nies, a veteran of the first season of the “Real World” in New York City and former host of the “Grind,” is now a TV producer and volunteer for charitable organizations.

“Before I got into the entertainment business, I never thought of [volunteering] and then I changed my mind,” Nies said. “A little sparkle went off and said this is what I should be doing.”

Following in the spirit of charity, brothers from Pitt’s fraternities auctioned themselves, while Pitt’s sorority sisters auctioned off memorabilia, including a pair of Delta Zeta shorts and a sweatshirt signed by Dan Marino.

The Greek community started fundraising for this AIDS foundation before the auction; each fraternity or sorority used the money they raised to place bids at the auction. The event was just used as a way to get the Greek community together for an entertaining evening.

In past years, sisters had auctioned themselves, but this year they decided to auction items instead because they did not want to offend their national organizations.

Nicki Romba, a sister from Chi Omega who was serving as a Greek Week overall, said she wanted to make sure all the rules were followed and the Pitt Greek community wasn’t penalized.

“I understand the principle behind it. It’s not fair, but I think the girls will make up for it,” said Cate Nied of Sigma Sigma Sigma, who was sister chairperson for the event.

Pi Kappa Phi’s Steve Crucitt said, “These girls aren’t prostitutes. That’s not what Greek Week is all about.”

As each brother and sister paraded across the stage Nies gave an in-depth profile of his or her character, including favorite song to get it on to, most embarrassing hook-up, what do you do after making out with someone and even divulged who the auctionee would consider hooking up with in the Pitt Greek community.

Lindsay Woods of Delta Phi Epsilon raised $675 auctioning off a “night to remember” basket, including no-hassle cuisine and the chick flick “Runaway Bride.” The basket was to aid a clueless man in getting a perfect date. Woods herself wanted a man with a “mullet, Iron City T-shirt and cowboy boots.”

Mike Lueck of Sigma Phi Epsilon came onto the stage dressed in a bow tie, T-shirt and pants, and left the stage with only a bow tie and orange, plaid boxers on.

Steve McCloskey of Sigma Alpha Epsilon made $600 as he moonwalked across the stage.

The Greek Community plans to continue raising money to benefit the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, hopefully achieving a goal of $100,000.