Dynamic duo of songwriters delights

By KATIE MAVRICH

Side of the Road

Ellis Paul and Vance Gilbert

Rounder Records

Side of the Road

Ellis Paul and Vance Gilbert

Rounder Records

When bands or artists choose openers or co-headliners for their live shows, they do so to complement their music, not to rival it. Folk singers Ellis Paul and Vance Gilbert met each other just that way over a decade ago. Both rising singer-songwriters, they became fast friends. Though they have graced the same stage countless times, Side of the Road marks the first time that they have collaborated on an album.

They complemented each other on stage; the album is no different. Paul’s folky, albeit slightly high-pitched voice meshes well with Gilbert’s deeper sound. Their voices are distinct; on each track one sings the lead vocals while the other does the harmony vocals.

On Sept. 11, 2001, Paul found himself wandering around his native Boston and reflecting on the events. He eventually phoned Gilbert, who came and picked him up. As a result of the tragic events of that day, the two comrades found inspiration for the songs on Side of the Road.

The album’s moniker track, originally sung by folk legend Lucinda Williams, is so beautiful, it is almost haunting. Other notable cover songs are Neil Young’s “Comes a Time,” Van Morrison’s “Comfort You” and Slaid Cleaves’ “This Morning I Am Born Again.” Susan Werner, another predominant folk singer, lends her “May I Suggest” to the album.

While Side of the Road is largely comprised of brilliantly done remakes of songs that seem eerily foreshadowing in hindsight, the pair penned original tunes for the album, as well. The most poignant example of their post-Sept. 11, 2001, feelings is “Citizen of the World,” a tune about the pair’s diverse backgrounds on which they sing, “Blue September day/Sky came tumbling down/We’re living in a world of hate/Doorman’s crying at heaven’s gate.”

Some tunes are slow, mellow and sad, while others remain upbeat and catchy. They are juxtaposed on the album in a flowing form that does not tire the listener out. It is obvious that they two maintain a relationship outside of the studio; their chemistry is remarkable.

It isn’t everyday that two talented friends can go into the studio and come out with an undiminished friendship, and an album that reflects it. Fans of Vance Gilbert’s and Ellis Paul’s solo work will surely delight in their collaboration.

Vance Gilbert and Ellis Paul will perform at Club Cafe in the South Side tonight at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15-$17. For more information, call (412) 431-4950.