No coffee-shop hipsters here

By Jonathan Check

Singer-songwriter Keller Williams will bring his contemporary mishmash of acoustic jam music… Singer-songwriter Keller Williams will bring his contemporary mishmash of acoustic jam music to Metropol on Wednesday evening.

But don’t be fooled by that drab, narrow label; Williams is no coffee-shop hipster, plucking quiet ballads to a sedate crowd of java-sipping admirers. He is the hippy, toga-clad John Belushi of a modern-day “Animal House,” impulsively ripping the guitar out of the hands of that sorry archetype and smashing it, along with all preconceived notions about the genre, to pieces against the wall.

Over the course of eight albums and years of relentless touring, Williams has pushed the boundaries of acoustic music with his innovative approach to creation and performance. At his aid: a sophisticated array of guitar effect pedals and a variety of stringed instruments. The technology allows him to “loop” his guitar parts so that they repeat. Williams will often switch guitars and loop more than one guitar part on stage, creating an intricate network of sounds with which to accompany himself before finally playing along.

But Williams’ show is not all smoke and mirrors. His bright, percussive guitar style, combining elements of finger-picking, strumming and slapping, is equally as impressive as his technological proficiency.

A newly-crowned heavyweight in the jam band scene – he was voted “most underrated musician/act” by Relix Magazine in 2002 – Williams has played such prestigious festivals as Bonnaroo and Berkfest, as well as more intimate venues, like a legendary performance at Oakland’s own Fuel and Fuddle.

But whether he’s in front of 50 people or 50,000 people, Williams’ shows are always shining examples of the captivating potential of solo performance. Expect a lesson in musical appreciation, as he digs into a catalogue of cover songs deep enough for a Bar Mitzvah band, as well as his own diverse musical back pages. Also expect a lively, receptive crowd of devoted fans who will hang on to every note he plays.

Keller Williams will perform at Metropol on Wed., Oct. 15 at 9 p.m. Tickets for the all ages show are $15-$17. For more information, call (412) 323-1919.