One person’s snowstorm is another person’s treasure

By JOE MARCHILENA

Ask a few, random yinzers what they hate most about Pittsburgh winters, and a majority of… Ask a few, random yinzers what they hate most about Pittsburgh winters, and a majority of them would probably say they hate the snow.

It might seem strange to them to think that someone from sunny California would actually like Pittsburgh because of the snow, but that is what Gini Ullery claims is the biggest difference between the two places, and she loves it.

Ullery, a junior from Tracy, Calif., is an outside hitter for Pitt’s volleyball team and has been a fixture in the Panthers’ starting lineup since her freshman year.

Last year, despite missing eight matches, Ullery finished fourth on the team in kills and fifth in digs.

After last weekend’s action, Ullery is leading the Big East in kills per game, and, on Wednesday, she talked with us about volleyball and snow.

The Pitt News: When did you first decide to play volleyball?

Gini Ullery: I guess I started back in elementary school. All the kids were doing it. [laughs] I went to a small, Catholic school, so it was kind of the thing to do, to get into the sports program.

TPN: Were you interested in other sports?

GU: I played basketball for many years – soccer – I guess that’s about it.

TPN: What made you want to stick with volleyball?

GU: I love volleyball. It’s an awesome sport, both mentally and physically.

TPN: What is your favorite part of the game?

GU: Hitting. I love hitting, but I’d have to say defense [too]. It’s intense, that’s where all the energy comes from, if you get a great dig and you get an awesome kill. That pretty much makes the game what it is.

TPN: What goes through your mind before each serve?

GU: That’s kind of hard to say. You’re thinking about so many different things on the court, but then you try not to think because if you think too much, then you make errors. I think it’s pretty much just play-by-play, what needs to be done. If you need this kill, you think “I’m going to put this ball away.” If you need a dig, then “I’m going to get there and dig that ball.”

TPN: What would you say is the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you on the court?

GU: [laughs] The most embarrassing thing? I actually have a lot. I’d have to say my freshman year, my first game ever starting, I hit our middle [hitter] in the back of the head on game point. It was heartbreaking. With everything on the line, to stay in the game, and I ended up making that error.

TPN: What’s the funniest or oddest sounding term or phrase you use in volleyball?

GU: I can’t tell you what I say, because that’s not appropriate. We don’t really have a phrase that we use. The one we always like to say is, “Go Pitt.”

TPN: What’s something that people would be surprised to know about you?

GU: I don’t really know … everybody knows I’m a loud person. On the court, I’m pretty much the loudest person on the court.

TPN: What is the biggest difference between Pittsburgh and California?

GU: Socially?

TPN: Anything.

GU: It snows, and I love it. [laughs] I love the snow.

TPN: Had you seen snow before coming to Pitt?

GU: I saw it up in Reno, but I’d never lived in it. The first time I came here, I loved it. I wanted to make snow angels outside, but my roommates wouldn’t go with me. I went sledding for the first time in the first snow when we got back from Christmas, and all the teammates went with me. I had the time of my life. It was a great experience. We were laughing and giggling.

TPN: Snow makes us laugh and giggle, too.