Panthers search for leadership, new goalkeeper

By Joe Marchilena

No matter how well or poorly a collegiate sports team performs, there is always a complete… No matter how well or poorly a collegiate sports team performs, there is always a complete turnover of the roster in the course of four or five years.

This off-season, the Pitt men’s soccer team learned that the hard way.

After losing 10 seniors to graduation and adding 14 freshmen to a team that finished last season 8-9-1 and missed the Big East Championships, head coach Joe Luxbacher will be relying on a small group of experienced players to try to lead his young team back to the upper echelon of the Big East.

Pitt’s biggest question this season will center on the goal, as Luxbacher tries to find a replacement for four-year starter Justin Gaul. Gaul, who was named Big East goalkeeper of the week three times during his career, started every game last year for the Panthers.

Battling for the starting spot are redshirt freshman Jason Cooke and sophomore Justin Lowery. According to Luxbacher, either player is capable of stepping up into the starting spot.

“It’s early in the season, so they’re both working hard and they’re both very capable,” Luxbacher said. “Typically, you don’t alternate goalkeepers, so they’re both looking to come to the forefront. Both these guys can do the job.”

“We train together and we push each other,” Cooke said. “We’re making each other better. It’s ultimately the coaching staff that makes the decisions on what’s best for the team.”

As for the guys in front of the goalkeeper, Luxbacher feels the returning players are experienced enough to help the younger players along.

“We have a solid core of returners,” Luxbacher said. “We don’t have a large one, in terms of numbers, [but] they’re all solid guys and key guys.”

Among that core group of players is defenseman Clay Haflich, the team’s captain and only senior.

Having started all 18 games last season, Haflich enters this season having played in 53 straight games. Haflich helped Pitt’s defense record seven shutouts last season, and his only goal of the year proved to be the game winner in a 3-0 victory over Cleveland State.

Gone from last year’s defense are Miles Dowiak and Josh Whitham, both of whom started all 18 games last season, along with Toure Weaver and Mike Doe.

Replacing them will be freshmen Zamahir Campos, Brendon Gardner and Jonathan Lauchner.

While he doesn’t expect them to lead the team right away, Luxbacher does expect them to contribute.

“We have a good freshman class,” he said. “Definitely, we’re looking for some of those guys to contribute significantly. However, we see them doing that around our core of returners.”

On the offensive side of the ball, the Panthers’ top two scorers from last season return.

Junior midfielder Marco Carrizales – who led Pitt in goals (eight), points (16), game-winning goals (three) and shots (40) in 2002 – returns, along with sophomore forward Keeyan Young, who was second on the team, with five goals and 13 points.

The Panthers must find someone to replace midfielders Bryan Hopper (three goals, nine points and 33 shots), Nate Montgomery (five points) and John Occhiuto (17 starts). Pitt also lost forward Jeff Krause, who transferred to New Mexico.

Among those returning are junior midfielders Billy Brush, who started two games last season, and Jacob Kring, who appeared in 17 games in 2002. Bryan Headrick and Justin Genes also return.

Much like on defense, Luxbacher will rely on the freshmen to fill the remaining spots on the roster, but he is not worried about a lack of experience or leadership.

“Good players are good players, and I think we’ll have very good leadership,” he said. “You’ve got to have guys that make good decisions, who can sort of dictate the tempo of the game, and, whether they’re a freshman or a senior, it doesn’t really matter. We’re all in it together, and, at the end of the day, it’s whether you win or lose, and that’s how you’re judged.”

Carrizales agreed with Luxbacher, adding that the returning players need to show the freshmen how it’s done.

“We need to set the tone, because the freshmen [are] going to have to show some impact on this team,” he said. “We need to set the tone and show them how to do certain things. Everyone’s here for the same purpose.”

Pitt will be tested early, with defending Big East champion Boston College coming to Founder’s Field on Saturday.

“We’ve got to be ready to go,” Luxbacher said. “These guys are playing in one of the best leagues in the country. We have to maximize what we have, to be competitive.”

But, playing in a conference that placed five teams in the top 20 last season, the Panthers might suffer a few growing pains before clawing their way back to the top.