As funky as funk gets

By Ian Reed

The Black Eyed Peas may have altered their original lineup a bit, but their latest album,… The Black Eyed Peas may have altered their original lineup a bit, but their latest album, Elephunk, is as funky as ever. Members Taboo, will.i.am, apl.de.ap and newest addition Fergie contrived Elephunk from basic hip-hop jams with the welcome mix of vivid instrumentation, relevant lyricism and, most importantly, funk. It’s true as the lyrics say, “If it smells like funk/it must be us.”

Elephunk is a natural progression after their previous two albums, Bridging the Gap and Behind the Front, paying special attention to bringing forth a powerful funk sound to mix with hip-hop. The good news is that it works, mostly because of will.i.am’s wonderful production; his studio skills and confidence have grown tremendously. With just one listen, it’s obvious what sort of instrumentation will.i.am has at his disposal, and he knows just how to use it.

The first single, “Where is the Love?” which features Justin Timberlake, is currently in heavy rotation on radio and MTV. It’s the album’s standout track. It’s also not the only collaborative effort on the album. Elephunk also includes the track “Anxiety,” which matches The Black Eyed Peas with alt-rock band Papa Roach, whom The Peas met on tour and bonded with quickly. The result is not as strong as the Timberlake collaboration, but exemplifies The Black Eyed Peas’ musical diversity and willingness to experiment.

In the end, Elephunk serves its purpose well. It churns out multiple radio-friendly hits and solid club songs with unique musical elements that ultimately set it apart from its contemporary hip-hop counterparts.