Berenato adds a new coach

By Joe Marchilena

Agnus Berenato’s coaching staff grew by one on Monday, when the women’s basketball head… Agnus Berenato’s coaching staff grew by one on Monday, when the women’s basketball head coach announced the hiring of former Connecticut All-American Shea Ralph.

Ralph, who graduated from UConn, ranked among the school’s top 10 in scoring, assists, steals and field goal percentage. She will work mainly with the conditioning program and assist in scouting.

“I am very excited that Shea has joined our staff,” Berenato said. “She completes the puzzle for our staff, and now we can find out where we are as a team and where we are going to go.”

Ralph said that she was “honored and excited” to join Pitt’s staff.

“It is a great university with great people leading the way. Our goal is to become one of the best in the Big East and consistently be ranked in the top 25,” she said.

Ralph was the captain of the 2000 national championship team and was named the Most Valuable Player of the Final Four. She was also named Big East Player of the Year and the Sports Illustrated for Women Player of the Year.

“Shea really knows what it takes to win because she has been at the top,” Berenato said. “She is young, enthusiastic and has the credentials to make a major impact on our coaching staff. Her leadership is second to none and she will be an asset both on and off the court.”

After graduating from UConn with a degree in exercise physiology in 2001, Ralph was drafted by the Utah Starzz of the Women’s National Basketball Association, but could not compete because of a knee injury.