Faith-based charities need to beware of discrimination

By EDITORIAL

In the United States today, computer skills are almost essential for survival. Because of this… In the United States today, computer skills are almost essential for survival. Because of this fact, the Pennsylvania Service-Learning Alliance has formed the Faith Tech Center program, which will provide computer classes at six Episcopal churches in the Pittsburgh area.

Faith Tech is similar to President George W. Bush’s recent efforts to extend federal tax money to faith-based charities.

The idea of educating more people to use computers is laudable, and PSLA should be commended for its initiative. But, it should proceed with caution to avoid certain pitfalls.

Currently, Faith Tech only holds its classes at Episcopal churches, a condition of the grant from the Vira Heinz Foundation. The givers of this grant wanted to ensure the program would have a strong foundation on which to build.

While these churches are simply being used as locations for Faith Tech’s classes, PSLA should be sure that the classes will welcome people with a wide range of beliefs, not just Episcopalians.

In fact, any faith-based charity needs to be cautious. If public money is used to fund these initiatives – as Bush has allowed – steps need to be taken to ensure that these programs are still open to all.

But, it is not enough for these programs to be simply available to all; faith-based charities must also take the responsibility to effectively disseminate information about programs to all members of a community. Organizers should be sure that information about it is distributed in more places than just gathering places of the denomination offering the service.

Furthermore, we must also ensure that people of different beliefs are actually using the programs. With any faith-based charity, there is a danger that only people of that particular faith will benefit. A Muslim, for example, may feel uncomfortable utilizing a program at an Episcopal church.

As Bush’s faith-based initiatives begin to take root, we must also be sure that government continues to perform its duties and provide social services, not simply leaving this duty to the private sector.

Faith Tech is providing a much-needed service to the community, and should be praised for doing so. Let’s just hope that the service is delivered in the right way.