Editorial: City should work to save August Wilson Center

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

Few local artists have achieved as much acclaim and significance in their field as playwright August Wilson. The Hill District native, who died in 2005, has had his plays performed in numerous communities across the country, Broadway and around the globe. But, currently, his hometown is struggling to preserve his legacy.

This year, Pittsburgh’s August Wilson Center for African-American Culture was forced to default on its $7.9 million Dollar Bank mortgage, failing to make its payments since February 2013. In response, New York developer 980 Liberty Partners is offering $9.8 million to construct a hotel atop the center, while still providing free space for the August Wilson organization to operate.

Local citizens and organizations are not satisfied. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the AWC Recovery Advisory Committee, a group of volunteers aiming to save the debt-ridden center, seeks more than the New York developer’s offer. And they are not alone. 

By working with the Pittsburgh Foundation, the Heinz Endowments and the Richard King Mellon Foundation, the group has raised $7.2 million to preserve the center. This is a great achievement, but more must be done to ensure the sustainment of Wilson’s legacy.

Promoting the arts in the community, especially the contributions of a local legend, must remain a top priority for citizens. But to prevent another failed effort to do so, the center must take a proactive approach to fulfill its goal as a place not only for African-American culture, but also for culture in general.

The center has directly addressed this. It plans to be more integrated into the city’s theatrical and cultural community, rather than operating in an isolated manner. According to the Post-Gazette, if the foundations were to gain control of the building, the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust would operate it.

Another change would be a greater focus on contemporary art and culture in the city. African-American history and culture would remain a primary role, but current Pittsburgh art and culture would be heavily showcased as well.

With this, the center would provide a key outlet for local artists to showcase their work. Pittsburgh has grown tremendously as a center of culture, and providing more opportunities for aspiring artists and entertainers only adds to its artistic appeal.

For all of this to happen, however, citizens must play an active role. More is required to preserve this artistic outlet than mere hashtag activism or reading this editorial. Please, share this and spread the word but know that even more must be done. 

The public should turn to crowdfunding to add to the more than $7.2 million already collected. Those who support the arts should call on local officials, businesses and organizations to contribute and play a role in keeping the center alive.

Additionally, if the sufficient funds were to be raised, support cannot stop. The theater and center must be consistently supported once it relaunches, as to pay tribute to one of Pittsburgh’s most successful sons. 

We as Pittsburghers should take pride in the contributions that come from our city, but we cannot let those contributions escape us. Ensuring the survival of the August Wilson Center is a testament to a great man from a great city. 

We must work to make this testament a reality.