Editorial: NFL must better tackle assault cases

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

With week one over, football seems to be the last of the NFL’s problems.  Controversy has persisted since the February  release of footage showing now-former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice assaulting and dragging his then-fiancée and now-wife, Janay Rice, through an elevator. 

But what ignited more controversy was NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s response to it: a mere two-game suspension. That’s right, the same commissioner who suspended Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington for an entire season for marijuana use (to be fair, it was his second offense), gave Rice a sentence utterly diminutive, reflecting a mix-up of the NFL administration’s priorities.

However, with the release of additional footage of Rice on Monday, the Ravens took matters into their own hands, and released the former Rutgers star from the franchise. Finally, the NFL came down with a more appropriate punishment — suspending Rice from the league indefinitely.

Rice’s actions warrant new NFL policy. To combat future assaults at the hands of players, the NFL must mold a climate fostering benevolence and respect for others. A number of NFL players, such as Michael Oher, Dez Bryant and Adrian Peterson, come from low-income or difficult backgrounds with few positive male role models. These admirable players have successfully overcome great adversity. But not all players necessarily triumph like they did — for the onslaught of fame and fortune can be difficult to handle. Ego and power can go to the heads of even the best among us, including professional athletes.

The NFL should mandate that players take classes about abuse, aggression and assault upon entering the league. AAA meetings, we could call them.

At this point, efficacy of such programs cannot be guaranteed, but they should at least be tried. Women are consistently encouraged to wield pepper spray and take defense classes to protect themselves from harmful individuals. And although caution is valuable, the league should attack the root of the aggressive behavior. Put the focus not only on reacting, but also on preventing.

Before a player even sees a regular-season field, the NFL should put forth an effort to ensure that he gains a thorough and complete understanding of the consequences of assault. Additionally, the NFL should implement a zero-tolerance policy for those who, despite classes and programs, commit violent acts. 

Millions of citizens across the country look to athletes as role models — role models who are often emulated. The NFL can go one of two ways: Hold players to high standards and take a stand against the brutality of aggression off the field, or continue to put cannabis ahead of human beings. 

Despite recent controversies, Goodell is still a capable leader. It should be clear to him which path to take. It certainly is to us.