Pitt renews Backyard Brawl with West Virginia

Pitt News File Photo

Pitt News File Photo

Pitt News File Photo

By Stephen Caruso / Assistant Sports Editor

Pitt announced four future matchups with rival West Virginia, with the first scheduled for 2022 in Pittsburgh.

The Panthers will host the Mountaineers on Sept. 17, 2022.  The next matchup will be on Sept. 16, 2023 at West Virginia, followed by   in Pittsburgh on Sep. 14, 2024, and back to West Virginia on Setp. 13, 2025.

These will be the first games in the Backyard Brawl since 2011, when West Virginia won 21-20 in Morgantown.

Pitt and West Virginia have played 104 games since their first meeting in 1895.

Pitt holds a 61-40-3 lead in the series.

Scott Barnes, Pitt’s new athletic director, is happy to have restarted the rivalry.

“Pitt and West Virginia have a long and storied rivalry that dates back to the 19th century,” Barnes said in a school release. “I’ve learned there is a lot of passion surrounding this game and we’re pleased to be able to rekindle that history.

With both Penn State and West Virginia on future schedules, Pitt has its two longest running series — and rivalries — renewed, which Barnes sees as a positive.

“An unfortunate byproduct of conference realignment has been the interruption of numerous traditional rivalries across the country,” Barnes said. “Everyone wins when two great series like Pitt-Penn State and Pitt-West Virginia are renewed, especially the student-athletes and fans of college football.”

Members of the Pitt and West Virginia communities shared their excitement for the renewal on social media.