People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

Editorial: Grammys highlight success of diverse Hamilton cast

After stealing the spotlight on Broadway, the cast of “Hamilton” sold its way to Monday night’s Grammys ceremony.

“Hamilton” — the hip-hop and R&B rendition of the life of Alexander Hamilton — is swimming in awards, acclaim and sold-out shows until January 2017 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York City. Its selling points aren’t just the addictive soundtrack and underdog plot but the show’s use of a diverse cast for a historically white narrative as well.

While characters, such as Aaron Burr, George Washington and Elizabeth Schuyler, were white, Lin-Manuel Miranda — the creator of Hamilton — portrays them in his musical as black, Latino and Asian — an initiative many directors never even consider.

In the age of #OscarsSoWhite, “Hamilton” proves that people will pay top dollar to see diversity in music and on stage, and that these shows can take home awards.

But too many pop culture creators, such as the Coen brothers, don’t consider it their responsibility, or of any concern, to cast diversely, with Joel Coen claiming, “You don’t sit down and write a story and say, ‘I’m going to write a story that involves four black people, three Jews and a dog,’ — right? That’s not how stories get written.”

Why not? Is the market — or the critics — turned off by diverse casts? “Hamilton” and its record-setting box office sales say “no.”

In past years, investors have ignored the market for diverse casts. But diverse casts and racially charged music have attracted the attention of millions, financial success and critical acclaim. Hollywood has claimed that shows with black leads don’t do well, but “Hamilton,” along with the immensely popular and recently released “Star Wars” movie, prove otherwise.

Investors don’t have to do what’s right — they are trying to make money. But these productions are raking it in, so why aren’t investors taking note of our interests?

The Grammy’s are all about commercial success, usually featuring the hottest pop stars and flashiest routines with crazy, out there technology. But, the producers invited “Hamilton” with its 18th-century garb and nonfiction storyline to one of the industry’s biggest nights.

What more proof do investors need?

The Grammys are one of the best measures of a performance’s demand, and “Hamilton’s” audience demands more. We want to see more diversity in Hollywood, and investors are throwing away their shots to raise a buck.